Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] jcatlett@burnsmcd.com is offline

Default Word form - shows protected but doesn't act like it

Getting on this board for my piddly question is like using a backhoe to
clean out the cat pan, but I'm stumped so here goes. Legal releases a
new subcontract version. I want to automate the fill-in portions.
After watching a dandy tutorial I go to work in Word 2003 and have all
my fields in place, formatted and with bookmark names and REF inserts
for repeats. Fields are shaded and everything looks good. Using the
Forms menu, I click the padlock icon and protect the document. Now
only the 'Protect Form' and 'Form Field Shading' boxes are highlighted.
The Tools pulldown confirms I'm protected because the option now is
'Unprotect Document.' But I put the cursor at the top of the page and
try to tab through the form, and I'm making changes to the document. I
put the cursor on the first field and when I tab, the field is erased.
In fact, I can do any editing I want to the document, despite it
showing as protected. I saved the whole thing as a template and tried
again, but it behaves no differently. I've started over and
reinstalled the fields three times, with no different results. I
protected with the restriction 'filling in forms.' No better. Do I
need to alt-ctrl-backspace-F12 and spin in my chair to get this to work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
S. Gerred Hudson S. Gerred Hudson is offline

Hello;

I like your analogy. Backhoes for cat pans...interesting.

Since you are using Word 2003, use document protection.

Click Tools
Select Protect Document
Under Editing Restrictions, click Allow only this type of editing:
From the list Select Forms

--
S. Gerred Hudson
MOS