Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
sea cadet alumni sea cadet alumni is offline

Default word 2008 for mac

I have a seven-page newsletter document that includes photos. It's size is 19
MB, too large to send via email. I have tried compressing it, and found the
size jumped to 89 MB. I also tried to save it as a PDF document using the
print facility. How can I reduce the size of this file?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It must be grossly corrupt to be 89MB. Try saving a copy as an XML document.
Close it, open it and SaveAs a docx again.

I find the best way to keep down sizes of documents with photos is to
prepare them in a graphics editor before Inserting them into the document.
Use one of the free graphics editors (I prefer IrfanView for this work as it
is fast and simple to use). Use the Image Resize/Resample dialog to set the
physical size to be used in Word and change the DPI setting to something
lower: typically 72dpi or 96dpi if it is only going to be viewed on line, or
150dpi if the recipient wants to make moderate quality prints. Save the
edited photo as XXX wd.jpeg to distinguish it from the original.

Then in Word use Insert, Picture, From File. You should find your document
is now much easier to edit and keep down to a workable size. If it is still
too big to send as an email, you will have to split the document.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"sea cadet alumni" sea cadet wrote in
message ...
I have a seven-page newsletter document that includes photos. It's size is
19
MB, too large to send via email. I have tried compressing it, and found
the
size jumped to 89 MB. I also tried to save it as a PDF document using the
print facility. How can I reduce the size of this file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

In addition to what Terry suggested it should be pointed out that you've
gotten into a group for Word on the Windows PC. Many considerations are the
same, but some may be different. You'll find Mac-specific help available
through the Forums at the Mactopia web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.mspx

If you do post there be certain to specify what exact version of Office
you're using as well as which version of OS X. For a matter like this it's
also important to identify what type (JPEG, TIFF, etc.) of "photos" you're
using and what document file formats are involved. Include as much specific
detail as you can.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac