Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sonia Sonia is offline

Default IncludeText

Hi I'm new to word and saw that Master Documents corrupts thing and to try
IncludeText, i've looked up the Link that I found in another question on how
to do that but I'm still confused on what to do, if I click on insert then
file, the whole page of the document comes into my table of contents, if i
click on insert then field then on IncludeText i get an error message, I have
the 2003 version and saw no arrow anywhere so that I could include as a link,
like what i need to do. can some one please 'walk' me through it with step by
step instructions so i can see wehre i have gone wrong.

If you need more info on what i mean, i'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

From Word's main menu, (in a paragraph that is not formatted as a heading)
try Insert - File, navigate to the desired file and select it. Click the
dropdown arrow next to Insert near the bottom of the Insert File dialog box,
and choose Insert as Link.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"sonia" wrote in message
news
Hi I'm new to word and saw that Master Documents corrupts thing and to try
IncludeText, i've looked up the Link that I found in another question on
how
to do that but I'm still confused on what to do, if I click on insert then
file, the whole page of the document comes into my table of contents, if i
click on insert then field then on IncludeText i get an error message, I
have
the 2003 version and saw no arrow anywhere so that I could include as a
link,
like what i need to do. can some one please 'walk' me through it with step
by
step instructions so i can see wehre i have gone wrong.

If you need more info on what i mean, i'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sonia Sonia is offline

Hi

I tried that, but the whole document still comes out on screen. I even tried
a new 'clean' page and the same thing happened.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

From Word's main menu, (in a paragraph that is not formatted as a heading)
try Insert - File, navigate to the desired file and select it. Click the
dropdown arrow next to Insert near the bottom of the Insert File dialog box,
and choose Insert as Link.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"sonia" wrote in message
news
Hi I'm new to word and saw that Master Documents corrupts thing and to try
IncludeText, i've looked up the Link that I found in another question on
how
to do that but I'm still confused on what to do, if I click on insert then
file, the whole page of the document comes into my table of contents, if i
click on insert then field then on IncludeText i get an error message, I
have
the 2003 version and saw no arrow anywhere so that I could include as a
link,
like what i need to do. can some one please 'walk' me through it with step
by
step instructions so i can see wehre i have gone wrong.

If you need more info on what i mean, i'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm confused. If you don't want the whole document to appear (that's what
IncludeText does), what result do you want to see?

And I'm confused about your reference to the table of contents. The ToC is a
separate issue, handled (among other ways) by using a ToC field, which
creates the ToC using Heading # styled text.

--

"sonia" wrote in message
Hi

I tried that, but the whole document still comes out on screen. I even
tried
a new 'clean' page and the same thing happened.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

From Word's main menu, (in a paragraph that is not formatted as a
heading)
try Insert - File, navigate to the desired file and select it. Click the
dropdown arrow next to Insert near the bottom of the Insert File dialog
box,
and choose Insert as Link.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"sonia" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sonia Sonia is offline

I was reading everywhere that a master document corrupts files and it's best
not to use it, to try instead include text, which i thought meant the same
thing as being able to click on my table of conents and being transfered to
where that page is, much like the master document.

"sonia" wrote in message
Hi

I tried that, but the whole document still comes out on screen. I even
tried
a new 'clean' page and the same thing happened.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

From Word's main menu, (in a paragraph that is not formatted as a
heading)
try Insert - File, navigate to the desired file and select it. Click the
dropdown arrow next to Insert near the bottom of the Insert File dialog
box,
and choose Insert as Link.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"sonia" wrote in message
news Hi I'm new to word and saw that Master Documents corrupts thing and to
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Remember to update the table of contents in the target document; then you
should be able to click the hyperlinks to get to the headings in the source
documents (inserted by the INCLUDETEXT fields).

Note also that in recent versions of Word, you may have to hold the Ctrl key
to be able to follow hyperlinks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sonia" wrote in message
Hi

I tried that, but the whole document still comes out on screen. I even
tried
a new 'clean' page and the same thing happened.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

From Word's main menu, (in a paragraph that is not formatted as a
heading)