Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] steve@berrytecs.com is offline

Default How do I change word 2007 to file other than in short file name

I have Word 2007, still getting used to new menu setup. However it wants to
save everything in short format and I want long, how can I change it please ??

Regards Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Short format? What's that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

" wrote
in message ...
I have Word 2007, still getting used to new menu setup. However it wants to
save everything in short format and I want long, how can I change it
please ??

Regards Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] steve@berrytecs.com is offline

Default How do I change word 2007 to file other than in short file nam

When I try and save the program responds I have only 8 characters plus 4
extention, i.e. document.docx I cannot save for instance
" document one 12-12-07.docx " two many characters.

Steve

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Short format? What's that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

" wrote
in message ...
I have Word 2007, still getting used to new menu setup. However it wants to
save everything in short format and I want long, how can I change it
please ??

Regards Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

With Word closed, use Windows Explorer or My Computer to find the
WINWORD.EXE file on your hard drive (it should be in something like
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12"). Right-click on
winword.exe, then left-click on Properties | Compatibility tab. If the
"Run this program in compatibility mode" box is checked, uncheck it.

wrote:
When I try and save the program responds I have only 8 characters plus 4
extention, i.e. document.docx I cannot save for instance
" document one 12-12-07.docx " two many characters.

Steve

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Short format? What's that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

" wrote
in message ...

I have Word 2007, still getting used to new menu setup. However it wants to
save everything in short format and I want long, how can I change it
please ??

Regards Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] steve@berrytecs.com is offline

Thanks Garfield, but its not checked. Its this 2007 version, sometimes wish
newer upgrated !

Steve

wrote:
When I try and save the program responds I have only 8 characters plus 4
extention, i.e. document.docx I cannot save for instance
" document one 12-12-07.docx " two many characters.

Steve

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Short format? What's that?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

" wrote
in message ...

I have Word 2007, still getting used to new menu setup. However it wants to
save everything in short format and I want long, how can I change it
please ??

Regards Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] steve@berrytecs.com is offline

I think I've sorted it. I had created a template and saved as 97 / 2003 so
that it could be shared. I then went on to use the document and as I saved as
2007 it said too many characters. Normal saving and creation works fine.
Teething problems I think as I'm getting used to it.

Thanks for your assistance

Steve

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote:

Please quote exactly and completely the error message you get when you
try to enter a long file name.

wrote:

When I try and save the program responds I have only 8 characters plus 4
extention, i.e. document.docx I cannot save for instance
" document one 12-12-07.docx " two many characters.

Steve

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Short format? What's that?

--