Default Mouse doesn't work in word doc - Ofiice 2003

Using Microsft Office 2003 and the mouse will not work when I try to use it
in a word document. The mouse will work fine in all othe applications even
when using other Office 2003 applications such as Excel. I have reinstalled
Office 2 times and still same problem occures. In Word I can use the mouse
for all the tools but once I move the mouse into the word document I can not
perform normal mouse stuff, I can't even move the scroll bar on the left hand
side of the word doc. I have tried a different mouse with the same effect. I
have check the control panels mouse settings and all is well there. Is there
anywhere in Word itself that you control what the mouse looks like and what
it can do in the word doc.