Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rosiewednesday Rosiewednesday is offline

Default Form: Leaving Empty Fields Empty

I've created a form and used the rich text inserts, but there are some fields
that won't always need to be filled in on my form. When I print, those
fields that didn't get field in read "Click here to enter text." How do I
get rid of this? If they don't put anything, I'd like it to just be blank.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Um9zaWV3ZWRuZXNkYXk=?=,

I've created a form and used the rich text inserts, but there are some fields
that won't always need to be filled in on my form. When I print, those
fields that didn't get field in read "Click here to enter text." How do I
get rid of this? If they don't put anything, I'd like it to just be blank.

This is Word 2007, I take it?

Are you allowed to use macros?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rosiewednesday Rosiewednesday is offline

I would prefer not to use macros. We can never get everyone to turn them on
in the office. Is there a way to do it without? If not, please tell me how
to do it with macros.

Thanks.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Um9zaWV3ZWRuZXNkYXk=?=,

I've created a form and used the rich text inserts, but there are some fields
that won't always need to be filled in on my form. When I print, those
fields that didn't get field in read "Click here to enter text." How do I
get rid of this? If they don't put anything, I'd like it to just be blank.

This is Word 2007, I take it?

Are you allowed to use macros?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Um9zaWV3ZWRuZXNkYXk=?=,

I would prefer not to use macros. We can never get everyone to turn them on
in the office. Is there a way to do it without? If not, please tell me how
to do it with macros.

Mmm, well the only non-macro possibility would be to remove the "Click here" text.
But that would make the fields difficult to find. (If they weren't RichText,
pressing TAB would jump to the next field, but you specifically say RichText...)

Here's a fairly simple macro approach. It compares the current ContentControl text
with its assigned placeholder text. If they match, the field is formatted as "hidden
text", otherwise as not hidden. You could assign this to a toolbar button saved in
the template so that it's only available when this document is being used. It might
not be a bad idea to format all the fields "Hidden text" by default. You could have
an AutoNew macro (triggers when a new document is created from the template) that
makes sure the display of hidden text is active. Tell people specifically that
things will not work correctly if macros are not allowed to run and that they should
use this button to print the form. You could even put the instructions at the top of
the document, formatted as Hidden text :-)

Sub RemoveDefaultTextToPrint()
Dim doc As Word.Document
Dim cc As Word.ContentControl

Set doc = ActiveDocument
For Each cc In doc.Contentcontrols
If cc.PlaceholderText = cc.Range.Text Then
cc.Range.Font.Hidden = True
Else
cc.Range.Font.Hidden = False
End If
Next
Application.Options.PrintHiddenText = False
doc.PrintOut
End Sub

Sub AutoOpen
ActiveWindow.View.ShowHiddenText = True
End Sub

I've created a form and used the rich text inserts, but there are some fields
that won't always need to be filled in on my form. When I print, those
fields that didn't get field in read "Click here to enter text." How do I
get rid of this? If they don't put anything, I'd like it to just be blank.

This is Word 2007, I take it?

Are you allowed to use macros?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)