Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kbaker kbaker is offline

Default Automatically create bibliography

I am currently writing my PhD dissertation and would like help. I figured
out how to generate a table of contents, list of figures, and list of tables
automatically. I would like to do something similar for the bibliography. I
thought the best way was to generate a numbered list for each cited
reference, and then use the cross reference command in the main body. Their
are several problems I am having using this method: 1) When I insert more
references the numbers change, and so the link and number is incorrect in the
main body. 2) Is their a way to reorder the numbered bibliography
alphabetically?

I also tried to create a bookmark for each individual entry in the numbered
bibliography. The problem is once again that the bookmark is anchored to the
location and not the text. Therefore, if I add or move the reference around
in the bibligraphy it won't be the correct link in the main body of the text.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the references in your bibliography will be listed in order of
citation, then you can insert endnotes (which are automatically
numbered) containing the references. You can also insert
cross-references to endnotes if you need to cite the same reference more
than once.

If the references in your bibliography will be listed in author/year
order, then there is no automatic way to do that with the built-in
features of Word unless you know in advance all of the references that
will be cited.