Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Losing Patience[_2_] Losing Patience[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007 Document Close

Why does the new version of Word omit the "x" in the upper right corner of
the document that was used to close the document. I do not want to always
have to open the Office Button to close the document. MS fixed something
that wasn't broken apparently.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown Stan Brown is offline

Tue, 13 Mar 2007 18:44:08 -0700 from Losing Patience
:
Why does the new version of Word omit the "x" in the upper right corner of
the document that was used to close the document. I do not want to always
have to open the Office Button to close the document. MS fixed something
that wasn't broken apparently.

I haven't spent time with Word 2007, but in Excel 2007 most of the
old keyboard shortcuts still work. I'll bet Ctrl-W(*) will work to
close the current document in Word 2007 -- it's worth a try anyway.

(*) Oddly, Ctrl-W is *not* shown on Word 2003's File menu as a
shortcut for Close, but I've just now tried it and it works.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Simply add the Close button to your QAT. The 'x' is missing because Word
2007 (like some previous versions) uses Single Document Interface (SDI) and
not MDI.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Losing Patience" wrote in
message news
Why does the new version of Word omit the "x" in the upper right corner of
the document that was used to close the document. I do not want to always
have to open the Office Button to close the document. MS fixed something
that wasn't broken apparently.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
2CV Lady 2CV Lady is offline

Seems to me Microsoft could put that "simple" solution in their Help file --
but try searching Help for "close a document" and you get nothing that
remotely refers to it.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Simply add the Close button to your QAT. The 'x' is missing because Word
2007 (like some previous versions) uses Single Document Interface (SDI) and
not MDI.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Losing Patience" wrote in
message news
Why does the new version of Word omit the "x" in the upper right corner of
the document that was used to close the document. I do not want to always
have to open the Office Button to close the document. MS fixed something
that wasn't broken apparently.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think there was considerable discussion of this during development, and
there were some technical obstacles it was impossible or impractical to
overcome.

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
And to make matters worse, some of the Office 2007 apps *do* use the MDI -
Excel, for example... You'd think they'd at least be _consistent_

throughout
the suite %{ - what was that old "left hand / right hand" thing?

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/31/07 4:10 PM, in article
, "2CV Lady" 2CV

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

Simply add the Close button to your QAT. The 'x' is missing because

Word
2007 (like some previous versions) uses Single Document Interface (SDI)

and
not MDI.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Losing Patience" wrote in
message news Why does the new version of Word omit the "x" in the upper right