Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Woossh Woossh is offline

Default Kidnapped file

I am trying office 2007 on a free download. When I tried to open my normal
Word file it had been kidnapped by office 2007. How do I get my file back?

When my trial runs out will I loose my Word file? It has lots of legal
documents in it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Define "kidnapped by Office 2007". Do you mean you can't find the file? Or
do you mean that it is now a .docx file?

I fear you may have difficulty when your trial expires, which is why I
generally tell people don't run the trial if you are NOT going to buy Office
2007. And even then I don't recommend the trial, I just tell people to buy
Office and be done with it. You will NOT lose (not "loose") your Word files.

And by the way, running trial software on a computer with critical files on
it is never, never, never a good idea.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Woossh" wrote in message
I am trying office 2007 on a free download. When I tried to open my normal
Word file it had been kidnapped by office 2007. How do I get my file back?

When my trial runs out will I loose my Word file? It has lots of legal
documents in it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you open your earlier version of Word first you will be able to open your
document from within that application.
Installing Word 2007 will have made it the default application for opening
documents. You can control this behaviour with a registry hack - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm . That link shows how to
make Word 2007 the default. If you want the earlier version to be the
default swap the Word version registry entries around.

Word 2007 will not affect your documents, and documents you save in the new
docx format can still be opened with your older version (not Word 97) if you
download and install the compatibility pack after uninstalling 2007.

The only problems you are likely to encounter if you decide not to purchase
when the trial is ended would occur if you have installed Outlook 2007 as
there may be issues with the file format when you re-install the earlier
version of Outlook.