Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Fritman99 Fritman99 is offline

Default Help with Word 2003 table formula

I am creating a form in Word 2003 includes a table for calculating
personnel evaluation ratings. The user will use the table to input whole
number grades into cells A1 through A6; the numerical grades for each cell
range from 1 (unacceptable) to 5 (outstanding). The rules of our evaluation
system say that the final rating will be an average of the six grades
entered, unless one of them is a 1. In that case the final rating must be a 1.

I want to add a formula to cell A7 that will calculate the final rating
for the grades entered following those rules. I have been able to create a
formula in Excel that works: =IF(OR(A1=1, A2=1, A3=1, A4=1, A5=1,
A6=1),"1",AVERAGE(A1:A6)), but when I create a field in cell A7 in Word and
add that formula to it, I get a syntax error because of the commas. Can
anyone help me with the right syntax for that formula in Word? Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Fritman99,

Word's formula syntax isn't the same as Excel's, plus an OR statement in Word can deal with only two conditions.

To see how to do a wide range of other calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths Tutorial, at:
http://www.wopr.com/index.php?showtopic=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party

For your particular calculation, you could use a formula field coded as:
{IF{=A1+A2+A3+A4+A5+A6} 0 {=AVERAGE(A1:A6)}}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message.

--
Cheers
macropod