Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimmie B Kimmie B is offline

Default CTRL+B and CTRL+I do not work in the middle of a line of text.

I work in a company with several templates from various authors. I've noted
that in some templates (or maybe it's only for some styles), the CTRL+B,
CTRL+I, and CTRL+U commands work only when the cursor is at the beginning of
a line (after a RETURN mark).

On other templates (or other styles, I'm not sure), I can use the CTRL+B and
other commands to my heart's delight anywhere in a line of text and it works
just fine.

Can anyone tell me how to change the templates or styles so that CTRL+B et
al works regardless of the position of the cursor in the line of text?

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What are you expecting them to do? These commands work in either of two
ways. If you press them with no text selected, then any text you type
afterward beginning at the insertion point will be bold, italic, or
underlined. If you have text selected, the formatting will be applied to the
selected text. Depending on your Tools | Options | Edit settings ("When
selecting automatically select entire word"), you may be able to format an
entire word just by clicking in it (without actually selecting the word).

"Kimmie B" wrote in message
I work in a company with several templates from various authors. I've

noted
that in some templates (or maybe it's only for some styles), the CTRL+B,
CTRL+I, and CTRL+U commands work only when the cursor is at the beginning

of
a line (after a RETURN mark).

On other templates (or other styles, I'm not sure), I can use the CTRL+B

and
other commands to my heart's delight anywhere in a line of text and it

works
just fine.

Can anyone tell me how to change the templates or styles so that CTRL+B et
al works regardless of the position of the cursor in the line of text?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kimmie B Kimmie B is offline

Sorry: I should have been more explicit. I'm not talking about text that is
currently selected. That works as expected.

I expect that text that I type after the insertion point (when I press
CTRL+B) will be in bold font. Likewise, if the text that I'm typing is
currently in bold font, I expect that when I press CTRL+B, all text that I
subsequently type on the given line will be in regular (not bold) font. In
effect, I expect to be able to toggle back and forth between bold and regular
font by pressing CTRL+B as I type along.

Like I said, this works as expected on some of our templates but not on
others. I have not been able to detect a difference in style or paragraph
settings, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

And I'm just using CTRL+B as an example. We're having similar intermittant
problems with CTRL+I and CTRL+U.

Any elucidation about setings is appreciated

"Kimmie B" wrote in message
I work in a company with several templates from various authors. I've

noted
that in some templates (or maybe it's only for some styles), the CTRL+B,
CTRL+I, and CTRL+U commands work only when the cursor is at the beginning

of
a line (after a RETURN mark).

On other templates (or other styles, I'm not sure), I can use the CTRL+B

and
other commands to my heart's delight anywhere in a line of text and it

works
just fine.

Can anyone tell me how to change the templates or styles so that CTRL+B et
al works regardless of the position of the cursor in the line of text?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, this should work as described. What often happens, however, is that you
press Ctrl+I, notice something that needs fixing somewhere else on the page,
do that, then click back in the document and continue. At that point the
italics should still be in force, but you may hit a bare patch, as it were.
I'm not suggesting this as an entire explanation, just one remote
possibility. If you are pressing Ctrl+B and then immediate typing and the
text is not bold, then there IS something fundamentally wrong.

Some other factors that could conceivably be involved would be (a) Draft
Font enabled in Normal view (you wouldn't see any font formatting at all)
and (b) using a font that doesn't have a bold or italic variant (but Ctrl+U
should still work).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What are you expecting them to do? These commands work in either of two
ways. If you press them with no text selected, then any text you type
afterward beginning at the insertion point will be bold, italic, or
underlined. If you have text selected, the formatting will be applied to

the
selected text. Depending on your Tools | Options | Edit settings ("When
selecting automatically select entire word"), you may be able to format

an
entire word just by clicking in it (without actually selecting the

word).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Kimmie B" wrote in message
I work in a company with several templates from various authors. I've

noted
that in some templates (or maybe it's only for some styles), the

CTRL+B,
CTRL+I, and CTRL+U commands work only when the cursor is at the

beginning
of
a line (after a RETURN mark).

On other templates (or other styles, I'm not sure), I can use the

CTRL+B
and
other commands to my heart's delight anywhere in a line of text and it

works
just fine.

Can anyone tell me how to change the templates or styles so that

CTRL+B et
al works regardless of the position of the cursor in the line of text?

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ejonesx ejonesx is offline

I have the same problem. I open a template and start typing away in one of
the fields. I press CTRL+B and the bold B on the toolbar briefly has a box
around it and then it goes away. The next characters are not bold. Can
anyone help?