RodneyB RodneyB is offline
Junior Member

Default [a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,} what does this mean and what is it called

[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}

I was given this to use to find all the emails in a very large document.

I want to try and understand what the symbols mean and what the process is called
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Hi,

[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}

I was given this to use to find all the emails
in a very large document.

I want to try and understand what the
symbols mean and what the process is called

when using Find/Replace in Word, you can enable "Use Wildcards" to find e.
g. special items or groups of characters (or to exclude them from search
results).

You will find a description of wildcards in those articles:
"Wildcards for items you want to find and replace", "Codes that work in the
Replace with box only"
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...30392.aspx#BM8

Another helpful website:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/usingwildcards.htm

--
Cheers,
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See also http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lisa Wilke-Thissen" wrote in message
Hi,

[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}

I was given this to use to find all the emails
in a very large document.

I want to try and understand what the
symbols mean and what the process is called

when using Find/Replace in Word, you can enable "Use Wildcards" to find e.
g. special items or groups of characters (or to exclude them from search
results).

You will find a description of wildcards in those articles:
"Wildcards for items you want to find and replace", "Codes that work in
the Replace with box only"
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...30392.aspx#BM8

Another helpful website:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/usingwildcards.htm