JPh12 JPh12 is offline
Junior Member

Default Can't delete white space

I have a 2003 MS Word document where, in some places, deleting a white space using Backspace won't work. I have to move the cursor to the left, go past that point, then go back and delete it.

I thought this was due to some special marks at such locations, but when I show formatting marks I don't see anything.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks.
AnnaLiina AnnaLiina is offline
Junior Member

I have a similar issue, except that I cannot find any ways to delete the white space, and I only have multiple spacing in one place, right in the middle of a paragraph. When I show formatting marks it appears to have multiple spaces that overflow the document - I really don't know what's wrong! I've checked spacings before and after, they're both 0.

I'm new to the forum and I wasn't sure whether to start my own thread or reply to an existing one -- sorry for barging in on your thread JPh12.

Can anyone help?
Attached Images

AnnaLiina AnnaLiina is offline
Junior Member

OK I found a solution to my problem: CTRL+A then CTRL+E then CTRL+L. It deleted all unnecessary (trailing?) spaces. Make a backup before trying it though, it changed the document layout slightly.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

One possibility for both of you might be to select a passage from a few letters before the problem area to a few letters after the problem area,
delete, and then retype the few letters and space that you need.

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 9:31:03 AM UTC-5, AnnaLiina wrote:
I have a similar issue, except that I cannot find any ways to delete the
white space, and I only have multiple spacing in one place, right in the
middle of a paragraph. When I show formatting marks it appears to have
multiple spaces that overflow the document - I really don't know what's
wrong! I've checked spacings before and after, they're both 0.

I'm new to the forum and I wasn't sure whether to start my own thread or
reply to an existing one -- sorry for barging in on your thread JPh12.

Can anyone help?

|Filename: word.jpg |
|Download: http://www.wordbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=200|

AnnaLiina

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Excessive space characters at the beginning and end of paragraphs can be
easily removed if you change the horizontal alignment to center (Ctrl+E)
and then back to left (Ctrl+L)

However, this may be something different. Without seeing the file in
Word format it is difficult to be sure, but you could try cutting and
pasting the text into NotePad, for example, and then back into Word.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP