Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NeedAnswerForBoss NeedAnswerForBoss is offline

Default Chapters

I know in Word you can create sub documents from a larger document and you
edit subdocuments it automatically updates itself in the larger document. How
can someone do the opposite? For example, say I write 5 chapters. Chapters
1,2,3 and go into Book One, and Chapters 3,4,5 go into Book Two. (Note:
Chapter 3 is in both books.) How can I edit Chapter 3 and automatically have
it update in each of the Books? I basically want to combine documents yet be
able to edit them seperately so they update in the master documents.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use INCLUDETEXT fields to add files to a "master" document. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...textfields.htm.

Note that Word's built-in master document feature is *not* recommended by
most users, because it tends to corrupt documents.

~~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"NeedAnswerForBoss" wrote in
message ...
I know in Word you can create sub documents from a larger document and you
edit subdocuments it automatically updates itself in the larger document.
How
can someone do the opposite? For example, say I write 5 chapters. Chapters
1,2,3 and go into Book One, and Chapters 3,4,5 go into Book Two. (Note:
Chapter 3 is in both books.) How can I edit Chapter 3 and automatically
have
it update in each of the Books? I basically want to combine documents yet
be
able to edit them seperately so they update in the master documents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

BTW Word wastes a perfectly good basic keyboard shortcut on Master
Documents, Ctrl-backslash -- I just made it the keying for "Accept
Change" (and don't move to the next), a button I'd already put on the
QAT.

Hmm, if I had any need for a "Reject Change" button, I'd put it on
Ctrl-pipe.

On Jun 17, 9:10*am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
You can use INCLUDETEXT fields to add files to a "master" document. Seehttp://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/includetextfields.htm.

Note that Word's built-in master document feature is *not* recommended by
most users, because it tends to corrupt documents.

~~~
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"NeedAnswerForBoss" wrote in

I know in Word you can create sub documents from a larger document and you
edit subdocuments it automatically updates itself in the larger document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, since master documents don't work reliably one could argue that any
keyboard shortcut assigned to any command involving master documents is a
waste. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
[...]

TOC of whole doc and of chapters within ArielZusya Microsoft Word Help 3 January 9th 09 10:53 AM
Linking different Chapters to a TOC Immie Microsoft Word Help 3 October 24th 08 12:35 PM
Chapters.... TJ Gunnz Page Layout 3 January 25th 08 08:28 AM
How do I have chapters show up? [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 September 5th 06 08:31 PM
about inset new chapters hassan barjini Microsoft Word Help 1 June 14th 06 09:46 PM