Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Randy Randy is offline

Default Restart page numbering in chapter

I have a document with several chapters, each seperated by section breaks.
The page numbering starts over in all chapters but one. the numbering is 2-1,
2-2, 3-1, etc.

The chapter that won't restart is Chapter 1, which follows some frontmatter.
The frontmatter page numbers are numbered correctly (i, ii, iii, etc). The
first page of Chapter 1 begins with 2-1 instead of 1-1. I have section breaks
before and after the chapter. All of the other chapters restart the numbering
correctly except this one.

I've opened the footer in Chapter 1 that contains the page number and
changed the page number setting to "start at 1", but this doesn't help. "Link
to previous" is not selected.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the style used for the chapter numbering is part of an outline-numbered
list, make sure you don't have any lower-level heads preceding "Chapter 1."
Also check to make sure that you don't have any empty paragraphs or page
breaks before "Chapter 1" formatted with the heading style it uses.

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Randy Randy is offline

The Chapter 1 title uses "Heading 1" style, and is preceded by a section
titled "References and Drawings" which uses the "Title Centered" style.
There is a page number and section break (next page) between them, but
deleting either or both didn't help. I didn't see any empty paragraphs
between the sections.

In the Page Number Format dialogue box, the "chapter starts with style" is
Heading 1.

I forgot to mention I'm using Word 2003.

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Randy Randy is offline

I wish I could send the document, but it's proprietary to my company and I
can't. I'm having the same problem with Appendix B. The page numbers in
Appendix A are fine (A-1, A-2, etc), but the page numbers in Appendix B start
at A-1. I've followed Shana Kelly's suggestion to change the Chapter Starts
with Style box to choose Heading 6.