Number of pages excluding content pages

Default Number of pages excluding content pages

I am trying to insert the total number of pages for a document but I do not
wish to include the number of content pages into the total.
Take for example: There are a total of 100 pages in my document, out of
which 10 are content pages, the rest are the main document. I want only the
remaining 90 pages to be reflected in the footer under total number of pages
(Page 1 of 90, Page 2 of 90 etc)

I have tried to use the "SectionPages" and it only gives the total number of
pages for that particular section.

Would appreciate if someone could enlighten me how to do it
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TnVtYmVyIG9mIHBhZ2VzIGV4Y2x1ZGluZyBjb250ZW50IH BhZ2Vz?=,

I am trying to insert the total number of pages for a document but I do not
wish to include the number of content pages into the total.
Take for example: There are a total of 100 pages in my document, out of
which 10 are content pages, the rest are the main document. I want only the
remaining 90 pages to be reflected in the footer under total number of pages
(Page 1 of 90, Page 2 of 90 etc)

I have tried to use the "SectionPages" and it only gives the total number of
pages for that particular section.

How many sections does your document have?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TnVtYmVyIG9mIHBhZ2VzIGV4Y2x1ZGluZyBjb250ZW50IH BhZ2Vz?=,

There are 5 sections. The content pages are in 1 section.

OK, it looks like you'd have two basic choices:

1. Create the "content pages" in a separate document, so that you can continue to
use NumPages where you want to show the total number of pages. If, by "content
pages" you mean a table of contents, you can use an RD field to reference the main
document. When you build the TOC, it will pick up the information from the main
document with no problem.

2. Insert a SectionPages field in the sections 2 through 4. If you don't want to
display this information, then it's usually best to insert it at the end of the
section, in the text (rather than the header or footer). Select the field, assign
it a bookmark name, and format it as hidden (or white).

Now, in the header/footer, you can use an expression to calculate the sum of the
SectionPages fields: { = { REF Bookmark1} + { REF Bookmark2 } + { REF Bookmark3 } +
{ REF Bookmark4 } }

I am trying to insert the total number of pages for a document but I do not
wish to include the number of content pages into the total.
Take for example: There are a total of 100 pages in my document, out of
which 10 are content pages, the rest are the main document. I want only the
remaining 90 pages to be reflected in the footer under total number of pages
(Page 1 of 90, Page 2 of 90 etc)

I have tried to use the "SectionPages" and it only gives the total number of
pages for that particular section.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)