Automatically restart page numbers after section break?

Old October 16th 09, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
bufossil

Default Automatically restart page numbers after section break?

I am using Word 2003 on a Windows XP SP2 platform.

I have inherited a document that contains a title page, TOC, and 8 chapters,
all of which are separated with section breaks. In addition to that, each
chapter has its own chapter TOC, complete with page numbers to headings that
occur throughout the chapter.

When I began inserting page numbers in the footers, the page number for the
TOC started on page 1 automatically (I didn't have to force it to ignore the
title page). But when chapter 1 starts, it starts on page 5, including the 4
pages of the TOC.

If I change the formula of the Field on page 1 of chapter 1 to subtract the
four pages of the TOC, the chapter TOCs do not update to the new page numbers
(they continue to count the 4 pages of the TOC).

Is there any way to automatically set the page numbers on page 1 of chapter
1 so that all subsequent page numbers and all chapter TOCs automatically
adjust for the 4 pages of the document-level TOC?

Thank you!
Old October 16th 09, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom[_3_]

For each section, use the Page Number Format dialog box to set the desired
starting page number.

To access the dialog box: First click View | Header and Footer. Then use the
Format Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar.

To move between sections, use the Show Next and Show Previous buttons on the
same toolbar (if each section has more than one header/footer, you will have
to use the buttons repeatedly).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP