Word 2003

Old February 18th 05, 02:51 AM
Brian

That might work "if I WANT word to track my changes" You are sugusting a fix
that is not addressing the problem.

I want to be able to open a document that had been modified in the past and
NOT, I repeat NOT see the changes.

It is something to do with Microsoft Word not the document because if I open
the document turn off markup close the document (With a save) and try to
re-open the document IT SILL SHOWS THE MARKUP.(I am not trying to yell just
show emphasis)

Has anyone (who is offering sujestions) tried opening an old document, that
has been re worded a few times, to see what I am talking about?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can open the document without showing markup in two ways:

1. Clear the check box for "Make hidden markup visible when opening or
saving" on the Security tab of Tools | Options (the dangerous way).

2. Remove the markup by accepting all changes (the better way).

"Brian" wrote in message
So what you are saying is there is no way to open a document and NOT SHOW
MARKUP?

This question has been posted on here about 5 times and every time the
question is not answered. I do not really care if past versions had it on

or
not I just want to open a document and see the document not all past
versions. The reason this is so aggravating is in my job we reuse old

word
doc's for YEARS we have some (while showing markup) going back to 96. I

do
not like having the inconvenience of having to hit view and unclick

Markup.

Can you set up a MACRO to do it since no one else can figure how to turn a
default setting off?

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

You are confusing several different issues here.

'Protecting for tracked changes' is a setting that locks the document so
that changes are tracked and the user can't turn it off from the

toolbar. It
isn't the same as just having tracked changes set 'on' (so any changes

are
marked), nor is it the same as having changes (insertions and deletions)
showing up in the document.

Word 2003 will by default open documents in the 'Final showing mark-up'

view
if there are tracked changes in the document (whether or not tracking is
currently on, whether or not document is protected for tracking). If
documents created in earlier versions of Word open like this, then it is
because you were (perhaps inadvertently) tracking changes at some time

in
the past, and you have never accepted/rejected those changes. Word 2003

has
a new view default here, but it doesn't turn tracking (or protection) on

and
it certainly can't generate revisions that weren't already in the

document!
I assume the idea of the new view default was to alert people to the
revisions stored in their document to avoid embarrassment, though from

the
posts here it often seems to ensure that Word 2003 recipients see

changes
Word 2002 senders had forgotten about without even trying to snoop g.

The only way of removing changes in documents is to accept or reject the
changes. But if all you want to do is clean out the revision marking,
without any backtracking of the changes you've made, you just turn off
tracking (if it's still on) and 'Accept all changes' (available on the
dropdown menu beside the Accept Change button) - you don't have to

accept
each change individually. You can *view* the document without the

changes by
choosing Final without Markup, but that will leave the changes in the

file,
and they will be visible on opening.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"CarolChris" wrote in message
If it is not enabled by default, why then does a form created in an
earlier
version of Word and protected as a form (not for tracked changes) open

in
Word 2003 displaying the tracked changes? It seems that Word 2003

thinks
the
form is protected for tracked changes. My company recently updated to
Office
2003, and this issue with forms has been a major complaint from many
users.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Track Changes is not enabled by default in any version of Word. If

it is
turned on for a specific document, then it is because you or the
document
creator turned it on.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"
wrote in
message ...
Is it possible to turn it off so that it does not track any

revisions
and
comments at all?

To clean up every file by accepting or rejecting all revision

marks
and
deleting all comments is a waste of time. The feature may be

useful,
but
the
user should be able to decide when to use it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

wrote in
message

How to override the track changes default?

Old February 18th 05, 03:37 AM
Jay Freedman

Hi Brian,

Did you try Suzanne's suggestion #1? That will do what you're asking
for -- the tracked changes will still be in the document but not made
visible by reopening.

The point of having that option checked is so you don't accidentally
send someone a document with sensitive tracked changes in it (e.g.,
you wrote something calling your boss a jackass, then deleted it, but
the recipient can see it). If you have the display of markup
permanently turned off, it's too easy to forget that stuff is there.
When you're in hot water, just don't blame Microsoft for it. ;-)

Another point that seems to have been missed is that you wouldn't have
this problem at all if you used templates and the File New command
instead of re-using old documents.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old February 18th 05, 04:39 AM

I think you're still missing the point. If the document had been modified in
the past without Track Changes turned on, these changes would not be
displayed. But you can still remove the markup by selecting Accept All
Changes in Document on the menu you get when you click beside Accept Change
on the Reviewing toolbar. The only way to be sure of not seeing markup is to
remove it by accepting the changes.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What part of it do you want to change? Have you looked at

the
options on
the
Track Changes tab of Tools | Options?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"

Old February 18th 05, 08:45 AM
Brian

I am sorry I didnt mean to come off like an a$$ hole.

I can assure you that I have done the suggestion and the problem has not
been fixed. Everytime I open a document it will show me what the document
used to be.

As far as just making new ones. I know that sounds like the logical choice
and I do do that now but these letter that I deal with are all from Years
before my time so I had no control over them being created or re-used.

Old February 18th 05, 04:06 PM

Which suggestion? Have you disabled the "Make hidden markup visible" check
box? What exactly do you mean by "it will show me what the document used to
be"? In other words, are you actually seeing markup, or are you seeing a
previous version? I'm wondering if the document was saved using versions or
if perhaps the markup was created manually (not using Track Changes) or if
there could be some other explanation. If we can't get to the bottom of
this, perhaps I can look at a sample document and see what is going on.

news

Old February 19th 05, 07:33 AM
Brian

If you can e-mail me I can get you a copy of the document. I dont want to
put my e-mail address out in the open like this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Which suggestion? Have you disabled the "Make hidden markup visible" check
box? What exactly do you mean by "it will show me what the document used to
be"? In other words, are you actually seeing markup, or are you seeing a
previous version? I'm wondering if the document was saved using versions or
if perhaps the markup was created manually (not using Track Changes) or if
there could be some other explanation. If we can't get to the bottom of
this, perhaps I can look at a sample document and see what is going on.

news

Old February 19th 05, 08:04 AM
Daiya Mitchell

So how do you expect her to email you? Does she somehow have your address? I
think if you click on her name on the website, you will find her email,
already "out in the open."

Old February 19th 05, 10:29 AM
Brian

Maybe she works for microsoft and this forum so common sense would say she
prob, has access to my e-mail when I signed up for this forum???
Maybe?

Old February 19th 05, 10:55 AM
Graham Mayor

Suzanne doesn't work for Microsoft. Like all the rest of us who contribute
here, she is a user prepared to offer her time and expertise for the benefit
of others. See http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/About

Microsoft does not habitually monitor this group and its records are not
available to contributors. Indeed, there is no need to register to access
the newsgroup server directly.

Suzanne has offered to view your document. Whether or not you want to take
up that offer is a matter for you, but to take up that offer you will have
to mail it to her. Don't post it to this newsgroup.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old February 19th 05, 04:42 PM
Daiya Mitchell

Graham's link didn't work for me. Try this one:
http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/index.htm

Also recognize that this is not a self-contained forum on the website. That
website is just one way to access *some* of the *thousands* of groups that
MS hosts on their news server, and people worldwide can connect to the news
server and never go near that website. MS just asks for your email to let
you use the website version to access the newsgroups, it doesn't really have
much to do with the newsgroups directly other than maintaining the
technology.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

On 2/19/05 1:55 AM, "Graham Mayor" wrote:

Suzanne doesn't work for Microsoft. Like all the rest of us who contribute
here, she is a user prepared to offer her time and expertise for the benefit
of others. See http://word.mvps.org/AboutMVPs/About

Microsoft does not habitually monitor this group and its records are not
available to contributors. Indeed, there is no need to register to access
the newsgroup server directly.

Suzanne has offered to view your document. Whether or not you want to take
up that offer is a matter for you, but to take up that offer you will have
to mail it to her. Don't post it to this newsgroup.

In typing dates in Word, i.e. "January 12" how do you keep the "1. Carol Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 09:09 PM
word xp crashes after macros are recorded kharris0405 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 11th 05 11:50 PM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
Acrobat writer 5.0 Compatibility with word 2003 Norman Marshall Microsoft Word Help 1 November 25th 04 12:12 PM