how do i enable the old menu bar

Old March 10th 07, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default how do i enable the old menu bar

Worth saying twice, eh?

"JC in Houston" wrote in message
I find the removal of the classic menu structure indicative of people who
choose to practice in theory rather than in reality. I have been a

technical
writer for many years and have used both FrameMaker and Word for 99% of my
work. I know many of my comrades hate Word, but it has always worked well

for
me, until now. I have converted completely over to FrameMaker. The new MS
Ribbons will not be part of my work. I hope Microsoft will realize that

there
are many who prefer the old menus. The little icons look much too fluffy

for
me. I think people who like pictures will love the new Office, but for

tech
pros who need programs to work for them, I doubt that it will be received

in
a positive light. I enjoy the MS propaganda, though. I'm sure they really
believe what they are saying.... I find the removal of the classic menu

Old May 9th 07, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JP

Why not give the user the capability to use the old menus or the ribbon? Like
you do in the operating systems (classic v.s. XP). Pretty simple, huh?
--
JP

"Folstaff" wrote:

Kevin,

Thanks. I know that this is the type of addin that could really help
adoption. The screenshots looked good. The Ribbon is still hogging a good bit
of the screen, but it looks like a must have for a good bit of the install
base.

Thanks again.

"Kevin" wrote:

In fact, Office 2007 Menu and Toolbars could be show again. Just download and
install Classic Menu for Office 2007 from
http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice, you will see the classic menu
and toolbars again.

Old May 10th 07, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi J.P.,

Actually, no it isn't a simple thing to combine the two of them to the point where it was reliable on a large scale deployable basis
in the time frame allowed for delivering the product. Things can get somewhat more complex within each of the Office apps as they
are not coded to a common base, but to different feature sets and methods.

===================
"JP" wrote in message ...
Why not give the user the capability to use the old menus or the ribbon? Like
you do in the operating systems (classic v.s. XP). Pretty simple, huh?
--
JP
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Old May 10th 07, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Summer

We use and beta test RibbonCustomizer by Patrick Schmidt MVP. It offers a
free STARTER version and also offers FREE ClassicUI tabs for Word Excel and
PowerPoint as first and last tab on Ribbon menu.

It is the best interface of all three ClassicUI tabs I have tested. I use
Professional version but if you are after only ClassicUI tabs for Ribbon
they are available from Trial download and are yours permanently to use.

Read Patrick's site for further details on how to download and ClassicUI
tabs Word Excel PowerPoint.

http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...er/starter.php

Janine
www.docsliveonline.com

Old May 10th 07, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

If they could provide the same functionality in the classic menus/toolbars
as they do with the Ribbon then there wouldn't have been a need to create
the Ribbon in the first place. :-)

The old UI was designed for the 80s, back when there was around only 1/4 of
the commands in the application, plus the Ribbon offers more than a list of
menus and such to choose from. While there are add-ins available that
provide the old UI, if you use an add-in instead of the Ribbon you lose out
on the new functionality - they only provide the commands that were in the
previous versions - and other than the advantages of the new file type
you're not gaining much by upgrading in the first place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Old May 13th 07, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joe_btfsplk

I whole-heartedly agree with the common sentiment amongst experienced Office
users that the new ribbon menus result in a quantum leap backward in
productivity. I have found that it takes 2 to 4 times as long to perform
common tasks in Excel when using the ribbon menus, largely due to Microsoft's
new preoccupation with forcing users to complete a series of single commands.
As an example, in Excel the simple reformatting of a line on a graph used to
be accomplished by double-clicking on the line, and adjusting all line
characteristics at once. Now, the double-clicking doesn't work, and each
individual line characteristic must be changed individually, in a number of
different windows. It is now mind-numbing. I couldn't afford the loss of
productivity when in Excel 2007, and have reverted back to Excel 2000. I am
considering doing the same for the other Office products, retaining Office
2007 solely to access files from clients who were equally foolish enough to
upgrade.
Frankly, I'm appalled by the tenor of the comments made by Microsoft's
representatives, in which users' distinct dissatisfaction with the
ineffectiveness and inefficiency of the ribbon menus is brushed off as
impatience on our part, and the fact that the classic menus were not offered
as an option in Office 2007. It appears that Microsoft has lost touch with
the vast majority of its users (and proponents), and has decided to "fix"
something that didn't need fixing: the menus. It's time for an upgrade, in
which the classic menus become available.
In the meantime, I'm warding off all my friends and colleagues from
upgrading until Microsoft presents something worth buying (developers'
opinions notwithstanding).

Old May 14th 07, 12:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

Did you find the modeless Format dialog box? It's the one you can use to
change multiple options, each change you make can be viewed immediately
(which is great when you're not sure about the specific look you're after)
and since it's modeless you can leave it open, select another element and
modify it as well - no need to open and close dialog boxes.

I've found this method to be far more efficient than double-clicking an
element, make my changes, click OK, find out I didn't like something,
double-click the element again, make more changes, click OK and repeat the
process for each chart element I want to modify.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old May 14th 07, 05:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

Just to add to the comments made already here.
Take a look at http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/10/09/58
It gives you an index to the blog the Office UI Team (that created the
Ribbon) has about that new UI. There are a bunch of articles there
titled "Why the new UI" that I would suggest as reading.
As Summer already pointed out, I offer a set of Classic UI tabs that you
can use with the free edition of my add-in. It's free, because I believe
no one can do a good job with a classic UI in 2007 for all the design
reasons pointed out in the blog posts referenced above and for some
practical reasons listed in my description of the featu
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribbon...etourpart3.php
It's also free, because my add-in is primarily for customizing the
Office 2007 ribbon, not for providing a classic UI in 2007.
There are two other vendors that offer a classic UI feature for Office
2007. Classic Menus
(http://www.addintools.com/english/me...ce/default.htm) which is
relatively similar to what I offer for free and ToolbarToggle
(http://toolbartoggle.com), which takes a bit of a different approach
(ToolbarToggle Lite is similar to what I offer).

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Outlook 2007 Performance Update: http://pschmid.net/blog/2007/04/13/105
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://ribboncustomizer.com
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

:

Collapsing Word Menu Enn Tables 0 October 19th 06 10:43 AM
How do I enable greyed-out Tools menu options? Almost Italian Microsoft Word Help 5 February 27th 06 05:22 AM
how to enable menu bar in word2000 ramesh Microsoft Word Help 2 September 9th 05 10:31 AM
How to enable (custom built) toolbar menu bvuk Microsoft Word Help 3 September 4th 05 09:38 PM
Global template: Custom menu is slow? HJ Microsoft Word Help 4 February 21st 05 10:55 PM