Jenny

Default Preserving Markup Format when Saving

Hi-

I made corrections, comments, etc. on a document and sent it to my boss.
He's not exactly great with computers, though, so he only saw the
insertions/deletions and not the comments- and he's too stubborn and
impatient to take a couple of seconds to figure out how to make the comments
show up

So is there a way to save the file so that the comments show up
automatically?

I tried saving the document as a webpage but then the comments show up as a
tooltip, which doesn't help because in some cases it's hard to tell what
parts of the text the comment applies to.

I also tried saving the file as a pdf file using the adobe online tool (my
boss will just be printing out the file and not editing it or anything- but
he's too far for me to bring a hardcopy to, which is why I have to do this)-
the insertions/deletions show up but not the comments.

Btw, I'm using Word 2003 and he is using Word for Macs

Anyone have any suggestions? Any advice would be great
Thanks in advance,
Jenny
Daiya Mitchell

So is there a way to save the file so that the comments show up
automatically?

You can't really control his settings for viewing Track Changes and
comments, in any version. (well, a macro could do it, but most people don't
let macros in documents from other people run on their computer. PDF is
really the most reliable way to know what others will see).

That he is using MacWord should not make a difference, exactly, since he's
too impatient to turn them on anyhow. In MacWord X, it should be View |
Comments to turn them on--in MacWord 2004, he can either turn on balloons in
the Word | Preferences, Track Changes tab, or use the Reviewing Toolbar to
turn on the Reviewing Pane. Or if he hovers the mouse over the comment
bracket/highlight, it should show up as a yellow screentip.

I also tried saving the file as a pdf file using the adobe online tool (my
boss will just be printing out the file and not editing it or anything- but
he's too far for me to bring a hardcopy to, which is why I have to do this)-
the insertions/deletions show up but not the comments.

I believe, that if you turn on balloons so that the insertions, deletions,
etc all show up in balloons in the right margin, the comments will also show
up in the margins. Then when you print to PDF he will see the comments. Not
sure this will print out at a usable size, and you'll probably need to mess
with the colors a bit to get readable printing.

To turn on balloons, see Tools | Options, Track Changes tab.

Alternatively, when you print to PDF, try setting the printer options to
include Markup, which should print the comments at the end.

For this, you might need one of the inexpensive pdf creators instead of
Adobe's online tool--not sure, as I don't know how Adobe's tool works. Try,
for example, pdf1995, primoPDF...

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/