WORDZODIAC

Default Margin Release

How do you do a margin release in Word -
so that paragraph numbers are in the margin and not in the main text area???
Joe McGuire

I don't know how to do so or if there is such a feature in Word. But you
can accomplish what you want this way. If all our paragraphs are to be
numbered use a hanging indent. Technically your paragraph numbers won't be
outside the margin but only you will know that! Another way would be to
set your paragraph indent to a negative value and use a hanging indent that
will indent to your margin. That way your paragraph numbers will be
technically outside your margin. I think the best way to do either is to
modify the style you are using for the paragraphs, particularly if some
paragraphs will be numbered and others not. that way it will be easier to
change the formatting later..

"WORDZODIAC" wrote in message
How do you do a margin release in Word -
so that paragraph numbers are in the margin and not in the main text
area???

In your numbered style, choose Format | Style | Modify | Format | Numbering.
Set the number position to Right (so that the final digit of the numbers
will align), then set the "Aligned at" position such that the numbers will
hang out into the margin. You'll probably also need to adjust the other two
settings ("Tab space after" and "Indent at").