DSG

Default Placement of Index when generated

Windows 2000 Pro SP2
Office 2000 Pro SP3
I'm getting ready to create my first Mark-up Index with Word's indexing
tools.

How do I, or how does Word decide where, in the document, to put the index
when it is finally generated? Or does it just start a separate document only
for the index?
Darlene

Jay Freedman

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:35:34 -0500, "DSG"
wrote:

Windows 2000 Pro SP2
Office 2000 Pro SP3
I'm getting ready to create my first Mark-up Index with Word's indexing
tools.

How do I, or how does Word decide where, in the document, to put the index
when it is finally generated? Or does it just start a separate document only
for the index?
Darlene

Wherever the cursor is when you use the Insert Reference Index &
Tables dialog to insert an index, or use the Insert Field dialog to
insert an Index field (which is exactly the same thing), that's where
the index will appear.

The entire index is a single field. If you place the cursor at the
beginning of the index and press Shift+right arrow, it will select the
entire index. You can then drag it or cut/paste it to another location
as if it were a single character.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
DSG

Thank you so much, Jay. Got it! I went back to Word Help to find out why
I've spent hours reading and studying to find all the basic steps, and would
you believe that it looks like it is the only hyperlink I had not clicked on
(the part on where to designate where you want to put the index. I have a
habit of getting lost when clicking on all the hyperlinks until I can't
find my way back to where I started and left off.
For others' benefit: Instead of just going to Help and typing in a word you
know you want, instead, open Help and click on the CONTENTS tab and drill
down to the subject you will be working on, for example, in this case:
Help Working With Long Documents Creating Indexes, etc. Indexes
and there you find the twelve part outline of all the places you will find
what you need for indexing your document/book
Darlene