kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

Default Date insert date keeps updating in 2nd page of document

I have always used insert time and date on the top of my document but took it off for aother job.In fact I found it hard to turn off.

I turned it on again and i find it keeps updating in a sentence in the text!!
Can anyone tell me whatt is wrong please?
Thanks in anticipation
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is the date in the header of the document? You will have to activate the
header/footer view, for example by double-clicking the header, and then
select and delete the date field. If "Different first page" has been
activated (on the Header & Footer Tools Design tab), your document has two
headers and you will have to delete the field in both places.

On the other hand, if you are saying that you want to prevent the field from
updating, do the following: Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. You should
see a field code similar to: { DATE \# "M/d/yy" }. Change the DATE part to
CREATEDATE. (If the field code starts with TIME, change that to CREATEDATE
instead.) Update the field with F9. Press Alt+F9 again to hide field codes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

I have always used insert time and date on the top of my document but
took it off for aother job.In fact I found it hard to turn off.

I turned it on again and i find it keeps updating in a sentence in the
text!!
Can anyone tell me whatt is wrong please?
Thanks in anticipation

--
kaye123

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

Thank you Stefan

No I dodnt use header to put in the date. However it has now stopped updating in the text and it is not updating at the top of the document (not header). So I just redid it and made sure the update was ticked. I May have ticked this when I saw it was not updating and may have had my curser on page two.

The last part is useful thanks.
kind regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post

"kaye123" wrote in message

I have always used insert time and date on the top of my document but
took it off for aother job.In fact I found it hard to turn off.

I turned it on again and i find it keeps updating in a sentence in the
text!!
Can anyone tell me whatt is wrong please?
Thanks in anticipation

--
kaye123
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the follow-up.

Just a few points which you may find useful for future reference... :-)

Did you use the Date & Time dialog box when you inserted the date? Note that
the "Update automatically" check box determines if you get a field that can
be updated or if you just get static text.

For fields, you can always review the field code by using Alt+F9 as a
toggle. Displaying field codes also makes it easier to locating fields and
getting rid of them if they end up in the wrong place, of course.

Updating fields is a complex matter in Word. Deselecting the option to have
fields update on print may help (if you want more control over the
updating). For more on this, see the Knowledge Base article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211629/en-us/ (Which fields are updated when
you open, repaginate, or print document). The article includes links to
additional articles on the topic, also useful.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

Thank you Stefan

No I dodnt use header to put in the date. However it has now stopped
updating in the text and it is not updating at the top of the document
(not header). So I just redid it and made sure the update was ticked.
I May have ticked this when I saw it was not updating and may have had
my curser on page two.

The last part is useful thanks.
kind regards

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;495433']Is the date in the header of the document? You will have to
[...]

"kaye123" wrote in message
...-

I have always used insert time and date on the top of my document but
took it off for aother job.In fact I found it hard to turn off.

I turned it on again and i find it keeps updating in a sentence in
the
text!!
Can anyone tell me whatt is wrong please?
Thanks in anticipation

--
kaye123 -

--
kaye123

kaye123 kaye123 is offline
Junior Member

Hello Stefan
Yes I did use the date and time dialog box.I just opened the document and tested alt+ f9 but I couldnt get rid of it. I just closed the document without saving.
Thank you, I will need to delete these fields before it goes to the type setter so will keep the link.
I havent had any more problems with updating thnks.

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
...-

I have always used insert time and date on the top of my document but
took it off for aother job.In fact I found it hard to turn off.

I turned it on again and i find it keeps updating in a sentence in
the
text!!
Can anyone tell me whatt is wrong please?
Thanks in anticipation

--
kaye123 -

--
kaye123

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the follow-up!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaye123" wrote in message

Hello Stefan
Yes I did use the date and time dialog box.I just opened the document
and tested alt+ f9 but I couldnt get rid of it. I just closed the
document without saving.
Thank you, I will need to delete these fields before it goes to the type
setter so will keep the link.
I havent had any more problems with updating thnks.

kind regards

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;495439']Thanks for the follow-up.

[...]

...-

[...]