fix a column width

Old April 14th 08, 02:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
BeckyB

Default fix a column width

I am creating a table which has 37 columns and the columns must have a fixed
width. The automatically resize to fit contents is unchecked and I have set
the table as fixed column width. Still the column width on the narrower
columns changes from 0.3cm to 0.31 cm. Can anyone help me with this as I am
tearing my Hair out.
Old April 14th 08, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Becky,

On the Table tab, click on the Options button and make sure the left & right cell margins are sufficiently small (eg 0.1cm).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Old April 14th 08, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing...

You set the column width to 0.3 cm, and then when you open the dialog again
it shows 0.31 cm?
Could be a rounding error... One tenth of a millimeter isn't something you
will notice.

Regards,
Klaus

Old April 14th 08, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Klaus,

Using Word 2000 and 2007, when I set the columns width to 0.3cm and have 0.1cm left & right margins (or less), a 0.3cm width is what
Word says I get, not 0.31cm.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Old April 14th 08, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

"macropod" wrote:
Hi Klaus,

Using Word 2000 and 2007, when I set the columns width to 0.3cm and have
0.1cm left & right margins (or less), a 0.3cm width is what Word says I
get, not 0.31cm.

That's what I see, and the reason I asked g

OTOH, I think Word calculates internally with multiples of 0.05 pt.
If you use millimeters or centimeters, it's not too uncommon to have Word
change the value a tiny bit, to the nearest multiple of 0.05 pt.
If that's what happened, it wouldn't cause me to tear my hair out, as Becky
does.

Regards,
Klaus

Old April 14th 08, 10:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Klaus,

With 37 columns, that extra 0.01 per column might make all the difference!

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Old April 14th 08, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Becky,

Just a thought:

Older versions of Word (eg Word 2000) were fussy about how small and adjustment one could make to a column's width. I often found I
needed to, say, increase the width by 0.5cm or more before reducing it by 0.6cm if all I wanted to do was to decrease the width by
0.1cm.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Old April 15th 08, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jean-Guy Marcil[_2_]

"macropod" wrote:

Hi Becky,

Just a thought:

Older versions of Word (eg Word 2000) were fussy about how small and adjustment one could make to a column's width. I often found I
needed to, say, increase the width by 0.5cm or more before reducing it by 0.6cm if all I wanted to do was to decrease the width by
0.1cm.

Word 2003 is still like that... I can't believe they haven't fixed that...
Or have they? Is 2007 still like that?

Old April 15th 08, 02:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

2007 seems fine.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote in message
"macropod" wrote:

Hi Becky,

Just a thought:

Older versions of Word (eg Word 2000) were fussy about how small and adjustment one could make to a column's width. I often found
needed to, say, increase the width by 0.5cm or more before reducing it by 0.6cm if all I wanted to do was to decrease the width
by
0.1cm.

Word 2003 is still like that... I can't believe they haven't fixed that...
Or have they? Is 2007 still like that?

Fix column width in a table catandmouse Page Layout 1 January 21st 07 02:30 AM
change column width Karen Tables 1 October 5th 06 08:11 PM
Can not set column width by code Shaw Tables 1 December 17th 05 08:08 AM
column width versus cell width 2dogs Tables 12 October 12th 05 01:54 AM
Is there a way to move a column and keep the width the same? LurfysMa New Users 7 June 21st 05 09:30 PM