this is odd behavior

Old November 11th 05, 06:59 PM
sf

Default this is odd behavior

I was sent several word docs by attachment... I couldn't open them via
Eudora w/o windows xp claiming there was some unspecified component
missing and telling me I needed to insert the CD to get the component.
However, when I went to the web and opened them via my browser
(firefox), they opened perfectly as Word Docs. HUH? Have you ever
heard of anything like that happening and if so, what was the problem?

TIA
Old November 11th 05, 08:22 PM
Ronnie Vernon MVP

sf wrote:
I was sent several word docs by attachment... I couldn't open them via
Eudora w/o windows xp claiming there was some unspecified component
missing and telling me I needed to insert the CD to get the component.
However, when I went to the web and opened them via my browser
(firefox), they opened perfectly as Word Docs. HUH? Have you ever
heard of anything like that happening and if so, what was the problem?

TIA

The docs may have contained a module that is available in a later version of Microsoft Word that is not yet supported by Eudora, but is supported by Firefox. The CD was apparently referring to the MS Word installation CD where the module is contained.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Old November 13th 05, 07:06 PM
sf

sf wrote:
I was sent several word docs by attachment... I couldn't open them via
Eudora w/o windows xp claiming there was some unspecified component
missing and telling me I needed to insert the CD to get the component.
However, when I went to the web and opened them via my browser
(firefox), they opened perfectly as Word Docs. HUH? Have you ever
heard of anything like that happening and if so, what was the problem?

TIA

The docs may have contained a module that is available in a later version of Microsoft Word that is not yet supported by Eudora, but is supported by Firefox. The CD was apparently referring to the MS Word installation CD where the module is contained.

Thanks, Ronnie. It's not my fault, for a change. LOL
Old November 16th 05, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows sf wrote:
I was sent several word docs by attachment... I couldn't open them via
Eudora w/o windows xp claiming there was some unspecified component
missing and telling me I needed to insert the CD to get the component.

Knowing the exact message you get might help.

However, when I went to the web and opened them via my browser
(firefox), they opened perfectly as Word Docs. HUH? Have you ever
heard of anything like that happening and if so, what was the problem?

Do they actually open in Word when you open them from Firefox or do they
open either within Firefox or in another program? I don't know if there's
a plugin to allow opening Word documents within Firefox, but if there is
and you have it, that would account for the difference. (I would guess
that there is. It seems like a useful thing to have a plugin for.)

Eudora just uses the Windows file type settings to open links that you
click on, whether they're links to attachments or URLs. What happens if
you open the attachment directory and try to open the files from there?
You should get the same results. If you don't, then the problem with the
files may be with their names, but a naming problem normally results in an
error saying that the file doesn't exist, not that you need to install
something. The message you're describing sounds like the message MS Office
components give when they're not installed or have a problem.

--
Katrina

Old November 17th 05, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

Katrina Knight wrote:
Eudora just uses the Windows file type settings to open links that you
click on, whether they're links to attachments or URLs.

I found the exe for the file that opens the attachment has to be on the
same hard drive as Eudora. I have Eudora in C:\program
files\qualcomm\eudora. I had Acrobat Reader in my D:\ drive and had to
move it to C:\ to get Eudora to open pdf files. I have Eudora 6.2x &
Win 2K (full admin).

henry

Table width behavior Al G. Tables 5 October 27th 05 12:08 PM
Text form field inside a WORD table cell, odd behavior when select pwrichcreek Tables 9 October 20th 05 12:34 AM
Text form field inside WORD table cell, odd selection behavior pwrichcreek Microsoft Word Help 1 October 11th 05 03:57 PM
FILE | OPEN - default behavior ??? Michael Yorke Microsoft Word Help 1 September 3rd 05 07:14 AM
Table behavior.. Cindy M -WordMVP- Tables 1 October 28th 04 06:45 PM