Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stressed in Tampa

Default List of figures

I have used the caption feature to label all of my graphics, yet when I try
to create a list of figures, only 2 of the 50+ figures show. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis

Probably due to your captions being in Text Boxes, which makes them
invisible to the table of figures.

Probably also not your fault - if you select a floating picture and ask to
caption in, Word puts the caption in a Text Box - a case of the left hand
not knowing what the right hand is going to do next!

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Stressed in Tampa" wrote in
message ...
I have used the caption feature to label all of my graphics, yet when I try
to create a list of figures, only 2 of the 50+ figures show. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stressed in Tampa

Margaret:
Thank you! After a crazy day fighting with this document, it was so nice to
hear that is wasn't my fault! Who knew. I did go back and convert my
text boxes to frames - and then I was able to generate the list of figures.
Every day I learn more and more... Thanks for you input.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

Probably due to your captions being in Text Boxes, which makes them
invisible to the table of figures.

Probably also not your fault - if you select a floating picture and ask to
caption in, Word puts the caption in a Text Box - a case of the left hand
not knowing what the right hand is going to do next!

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Stressed in Tampa" wrote in
message ...
I have used the caption feature to label all of my graphics, yet when I try
to create a list of figures, only 2 of the 50+ figures show. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jake jake is offline

well i found my self have to say this for sake of honesty :-)

my word 2007 can recognise captions in text boxes and can list them in a
captions list :-)

amazing but true ;-P

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

Probably due to your captions being in Text Boxes, which makes them
invisible to the table of figures.

Probably also not your fault - if you select a floating picture and ask to
caption in, Word puts the caption in a Text Box - a case of the left hand
not knowing what the right hand is going to do next!

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Stressed in Tampa" wrote in
message ...
I have used the caption feature to label all of my graphics, yet when I try
to create a list of figures, only 2 of the 50+ figures show. Any
suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, this is one of those undocumented improvements that we might never have
known about if a few Word MVPs hadn't been sitting with one of the Word dev
team at the product group dinner at a recent MVP Summit. We were griping
about the idiocy of Word's putting captions in text boxes when it can't see
text in text boxes for purposes of TOCs, cross-references, etc. To our
amazement, the Wordie demonstrated that this had been fixed in Word 2007
(though of course it hadn't occurred to anyone to advertise this fact).

Since the feature is not backward-compatible, however, it's of limited
usefulness until the entire world is using Word 2007 or above.