Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jo Gjessing Jo Gjessing is offline

Default Why do the macros disappear?

Hi all,

In a Word document of mine I have a few macrobutton fields which look like
this: {MACROBUTTON NoMacro [Click here and write a text]}. Also I have a
macro connected to the BeforePrint event which colors the macrobutton fields
white so that they do not appear on print outs. A macro connected to the
AfterPrint event recolors them black afterwards. All of this work very well.
However, when I remame the file from filename.doc to filename.dot and
make a new .doc file from it, the macros disappear. Why is this and what can
I do so that the macros do not disappear? I can put them into the normal.dot
file, but that will be a great job because almost 350 users need them...

Have you any idea what I can do so please let me know. Thank you very much
in advance.

Jo
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You say you rename the doc file to doc. If this means that you simply change
the file extension from doc to dot, this does not convert your document to a
template. It will show a template icon but it is still a normal document. In
order to create a real template, you must save the document as a template,
i.e. select Document Template (*.dot) in the Save As dialog box. The above
may be the cause of the problems you see. In that case, you could try the
following to see what happens:

Open a document you create based on the fake template you made. If you
look in Tools Templates and Add-Ins, you will see that the attached
template is _not_ your fake template (because it is not a template). Instead,
it is the template on which your original .doc file was based (which may be
Normal.dot).

Instead of creating macros in templates used as the basis for documents, you
could create a separate template with all the macros, toolbars, etc. you want
to make available to users. Such template can function as an add-in that is
available to all documents if it is placed in the users Word Startup folder.
See:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm

--
Regards