Automatic Numbering with Column Break Document Map Issue

Old July 16th 08, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tomlib

Default Automatic Numbering with Column Break Document Map Issue

When I create a two column instructional series of steps with a custom number
set (based on Heading 2) the Document Map fails to display the Numbering item
from the first item after a column break.

For Example:

Slide 01: Text
Slide 02: Text
Slide 03: Text
Column Break
Slide 04: Text
Slide 05: Text

In the Document Map "Slide 04: Text" shows up as just "Text" without the
custom number formatting. The custom number formatting shows up on the
document and continues to work properly in that respect. All the other
Heading 2s show up as "Slide ##: Text" in the Document Map.

I've tried putting a normal text column before the break, putting the break
in different spots, and various other solutions with no luck. I'm using Word
2003.

This is not an end of the world issue but it is annoying.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Tom

Old July 17th 08, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

The only work-around that I know is adding a blank, un-numbered paragraph
after the column break, but I don't recommend making use of blank
paragraphs. I'd much rather live with the annoying side-effect that you
described. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MV

Old July 17th 08, 02:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tomlib

Thank you for the thoughts Stefan.

I've come up with my own workaround in case it is of interest.

I just set the paragraphs following Heading 2 to "Keep with next" until the
header jumps to the next column without the column break.

--
Tom

Old July 18th 08, 11:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

That could definitely do the trick, but note that it isn't foolproof, in
case the document is sent to someone else using a different printer. See
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TextReflow.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP