Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jimmy Clay Jimmy Clay is offline

Default backing up macros and styles

I recently had to recover my hard drive. In the process, the process
all the programs and data were lost on the hard drive. This was okay
because I don't have that many programs that are truly important and I
had backed up all my data files.

But the styles for Word 2007 and a few macros I use were not backed
up. So I'm having to set those up from memory. I think it would be a
good idea if I started backing those files up. Word 2003 had a Normal
file, but I can't find that file in Word 2007. Is it hiding somewhere?
Or does Word 2007 store this information differently? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your normal.dotx is indeed in a hidden folder, but there's also a
thing called "Office Settings" that supposedly saves all your custom
settings so you can move them to a different computer -- but you have
to think of doing it before your hard drive crash. In XP & 2003 it's
in Start All Programs Microsoft Office Office Tools.

On Jul 26, 5:47 pm, Jimmy Clay wrote:
I recently had to recover my hard drive. In the process, the process
all the programs and data were lost on the hard drive. This was okay
because I don't have that many programs that are truly important and I
had backed up all my data files.

But the styles for Word 2007 and a few macros I use were not backed
up. So I'm having to set those up from memory. I think it would be a
good idea if I started backing those files up. Word 2003 had a Normal
file, but I can't find that file in Word 2007. Is it hiding somewhere?
Or does Word 2007 store this information differently? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Normal template for Word 2007 is called Normal.dotm. It is stored in a
hidden folder, so you have to set Windows to display hidden and system
folders in order to find it.

"Jimmy Clay" wrote in message
I recently had to recover my hard drive. In the process, the process
all the programs and data were lost on the hard drive. This was okay
because I don't have that many programs that are truly important and I
had backed up all my data files.

But the styles for Word 2007 and a few macros I use were not backed
up. So I'm having to set those up from memory. I think it would be a
good idea if I started backing those files up. Word 2003 had a Normal
file, but I can't find that file in Word 2007. Is it hiding somewhere?
Or does Word 2007 store this information differently? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Jimmy Clay" wrote in message

I recently had to recover my hard drive. In the process, the process
all the programs and data were lost on the hard drive. This was okay
because I don't have that many programs that are truly important and I
had backed up all my data files.

But the styles for Word 2007 and a few macros I use were not backed
up. So I'm having to set those up from memory. I think it would be a
good idea if I started backing those files up. Word 2003 had a Normal
file, but I can't find that file in Word 2007. Is it hiding somewhere?
Or does Word 2007 store this information differently? Thanks.

Thank you. It was a well hidden file. On my computer I found it he

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.Jimmy\Application Data\Microsoft
\Templates

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 26, 6:11*pm, grammatim wrote:
[...]

I do have something called "Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings
Wizard." Does this work with Office 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 26, 7:20*pm, Jimmy Clay wrote:
[...]

I think the answer is no. Microsoft does have a backup wizard for 2007
but it'll cost you money, $14.99:

http://www.cncllc.com/o2007sbuwv2/of...ingsbackup.asp

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jimmy,

The link Suzanne provided gives you the basics for items to include for Word to preserve copies of customizations.

The Microsoft Office Save My Settings Wizard was very specific in its scope
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826809
and was discontinued after Office 2003, in favor of Microsoft Windows tools such as

- File and Settings Transfer (FAST) Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306187
- Windows Easy Transfer
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...-transfer.aspx

The link you mentioned below is for a 3rd party product by Computer Network Consultants, not Microsoft, although it can be tricky to
tell - as Microsoft sites such as
https://obacentral.com
http://office.microsoft.com/marketplace

( https://obacentral.com/solutiondetai...solutionid=320 for that particular product) present 3rd party products through their
sites so that folks could assume a tie-in to Microsoft beyond an advertising relationship
The reviews of CNC's utility (came out as a beta in June) have been that it works 'okay' (whatever that means g) and it does have
a task scheduler for doing the backups.

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP