Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryan

Default How do I put my Task Pane back the way it was?

I dragged the Task Pane around the Word window, and now I can't get it back
how it was.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This can be very tricky. I started to write directions for doing it, then
thought I should test my answer. In the process I got my own task pane
floating and couldn't get it docked properly again (except on the left). I
was about to despair, but I knew I'd read a solution somewhere in these NGs,
so I Googled and found Bob Buckland's answer, which I can attest works g:

"Grab the taskpane by the 4-dot icon on the top left if it
is docked somewhere else and drag then 'slam' it into
the right edge of the screen while Word is maximized and
it should redock itself in the original position."

This is, FWIW, the only method I've found that actually works (though I've
seen several other suggestions, obviously offered by people who haven't
actually tried it).

"Bryan" wrote in message
I dragged the Task Pane around the Word window, and now I can't get it

back
how it was.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bryan

Thank you so much. It worked. I also discovered by shutting down my pc and
re-opening Word, it went back to where it was before I mucked around.

"Bryan" wrote in message
I dragged the Task Pane around the Word window, and now I can't get it

back
how it was.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would have liked to think that restarting Word or rebooting would help,
but I managed to get mine so mucked up I was not at all convinced of that!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bryan" wrote in message
I dragged the Task Pane around the Word window, and now I can't get it

back
how it was.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

I can't say I've ever experienced any problem with this - and I regularly
move my task pane around.

In respect to docking and floating the task pane acts - more or less - like
a commandbar. The difference is that it never has a title bar when floating
(although, for some odd reason, it sort of does when docked at the top or
the bottom) - it always has the dotted handle at the top left.

If you hover your mouse round the dots of a floating task pane until the
cursor changes to a cross with 4 arrowheads, double clicking returns it to
its last docked position - always works for me anyway.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I would have liked to think that restarting Word or rebooting would help,
but I managed to get mine so mucked up I was not at all convinced of that!

so
all may benefit.

"Bryan" wrote in message
I dragged the Task Pane around the Word window, and now I can't get

it
back
how it was.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah, yes, thanks. Double-clicking the handle does work. I had read the
suggestion to double-click on the "title," which doesn't work. The upshot of
this, however, is that I had to ask myself whether the Styles and Formatting
task pane might be more accessible on the left than the right. I don't use
it often, but sometimes it seems like a far reach on the right (since I work
in Normal view).

"Tony Jollans" My Forename at My Surname dot com wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.