pattyjo

Default search and replace symbols

I have incorrect quotes double and apostrophes in my document, mixed in with
the proper "curley" variety. when sending documents to others or posting on
web, the non-curley varieties come up with @ and = signs. I have tried to
replace them in the Word document, but the search and replace doesn't see
them as apostrophe or quotes, so I have about 200 pages to do by hand. is
there a way to specify the symbol (unicode) in the search and replace to do
it quicker???

Thank you!

Greg Maxey

pattyjo,

ToolsOptionsAutoCorrectAutoFormatAsYouType. Uncheck the feature to
replace straight quotes with curly quotes. Then use find and replace. Put
double quotes in both find and replace field and replace all. Repeat with
apostrophe.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

pattyjo wrote:
I have incorrect quotes double and apostrophes in my document, mixed
in with the proper "curley" variety. when sending documents to others
or posting on web, the non-curley varieties come up with @ and =
signs. I have tried to replace them in the Word document, but the
search and replace doesn't see them as apostrophe or quotes, so I
have about 200 pages to do by hand. is there a way to specify the
symbol (unicode) in the search and replace to do it quicker???

Thank you!

Almost certainly the document was converted from WordPerfect, which used the
WP Typographic Symbols font for them, and you do not have that font
installed on your current system. Select the @ symbol, copy (Ctrl+C), and
paste (Ctrl+V) into the "Find what" box of Word's Find and Replace dialog.
In the "Replace with" box type an apostrophe or quote symbol. It will not
appear curly but will be autocorrected upon replacement. Repeat with the
symbol represented by =. If you have other @ and = signs in the document,
you may want to make the replacements one by one instead of using Replace
All.