Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Catherine

Default number format

My numbering format is not consistant: The hanging indentation when the text
wraps to the next line does not align with the tab space

For example should be: 1. XXXX
XXXX

Ends up being: 2. XXXX
XXXX

I've tried using the copy format button but it is not working.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Catherine

Catherine wrote:
My numbering format is not consistant: The hanging indentation when the text
wraps to the next line does not align with the tab space

For example should be: 1. XXXX
XXXX

Ends up being: 2. XXXX
XXXX

You have to make sure that it is: set the hanging indent of the
paragraph to the same value.

Of course, one should always adjust this measure through the style
definition of the used (presumably) heading style. If you want to learn
more about this, there's a bunch of articles out there for you; for the
moment, the two here shall do:

Ins and outs of bullets and numbering in Word

See the section on "Numbering, bullets, Headings, Outlines" (by Shauna
Kelly)
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Catherine

Thanks for the tip - I ended up customizing the numbering format - is there a
fast way to apply the standard (default/typical) MSword numbering?

I went to Format -- Bullets and Numbering from the menu path and clicked on
the Numbered tab. I notice that there are multiple numbering styles for the
same number format PRIOR to any custom formats I have made.

Example:

1. _____
2. _____
3. _____

1. _____
2. _____
3. _____

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Catherine

Catherine wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Catherine wrote:
Thanks for the tip - I ended up customizing the numbering format - is there a
fast way to apply the standard (default/typical) MSword numbering?

Usually, I try to stay away from many of Microsoft's predefined settings
[I'm sure, come Word 2007, everything will be much better ;-)], but ...

I went to Format -- Bullets and Numbering from the menu path and clicked on
the Numbered tab. I notice that there are multiple numbering styles for the
same number format PRIOR to any custom formats I have made.

Example:

1. _____
2. _____
3. _____

1. _____
2. _____
3. _____

.... there should be a "Reset" button in the gallery.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS