Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Confused Confused is offline

Default turning a scan into a word document?

How do you scan a book and convert it into a word document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I wouldn't because that is a violation of the author's copyright.
Translation: Illegal.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Confused" wrote in message
How do you scan a book and convert it into a word document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

The material has to be scanned using OCR (Optical Character Recognition)
software - otherwise it gets scanned as though it were a picture. I
understand that there is also software that will convert image scans of text
to editable text but have never used it.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Confused" wrote in message
How do you scan a book and convert it into a word document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

Office 2003? Start, Microsoft Office Tools, Microsoft Office Document Imaging.
There is an OCR utility within the program.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/p...649111033.aspx

"Confused" wrote in message
How do you scan a book and convert it into a word document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Anything published before 1919 (I think) in the US is in the public domain.
Project Gutenberg is busy doing exactly this to make those books available:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

And yes, Confused, they use OCR, as CyberTaz mentioned. Your scanner may
have come with an OCR program, check Help or a forum for the scanner.

Search this group, someone posted a bunch of resource links for scanning
into Word at some point:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro....docmanagement

"Confused" wrote in message
How do you scan a book and convert it into a word document?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless the author or his/her estate has renewed the copyright. That's not
going to be an easy thing to find out in some cases.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

.. .

"Confused" wrote in message
How do you scan a book and convert it into a word document?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: http://word.mvps.org/Mac/WordMacHome.html
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

Daiya Mitchell wrote in
:

Anything published before 1919 (I think) in the US is in the public
domain. Project Gutenberg is busy doing exactly this to make those
books available: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Actaully at one time the copyright law was 73 years (with exceptions).
Then came the "Sonny Bono Act" who should have stuck to singing and some
archival processes were stopped dead in their tracks (pun intended.) One
such process is the University of Cornell's Making of America which had
progressed into 1926 or 73 years back from 1999.

Of course there are exceptions to all this and what it has to do with Word
or the original inquiry on "how to scan" is immaterial.

ANY person may scan or copy for their own personal uses, regardless of
source. The infringment is in passing that data on to others.

1) Word does not have any capability to OCR (search google).
2) Your scanner came with OCR software (most every one does, although some
softwares are more efficient than others).
3) I scan/OCR daily and I use WordPad in conjunction with my scanner OCR
software.

Some good reading is:
http://www.scantips.com/basics04.html