hkbs

Default Windows XP/Office Pro

I am hoping to buy a new PC sometime soon.
All the ones I have seen in places like PC World and Dell appear to have
Windows XP and Microsoft Works installed. I understand that there are
problems with Works - at the moment I have Windows 98 and Office Pro, which
has Word 2000.

Would it be best to buy a separate Office Suite and install it myself?

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Anne in UK

TF

Anne

Probably a new version of Office would be a good idea. The cheapest way to
get Office is to buy the Student and Teachers version (just under £100 inc
vat). To qualify, there should be a student or teacher of a recognised
academic institution living in the home. You can install it on up to three
computers in the home (including a laptop). You may continue to use it even
after the qualifying person ceases to meet the qualification. The only real
drawback is that it doesn't qualify for upgrades. I've never known the
seller to actually check that the 'qualified person meets the requirements'.
Try www.misco.co.uk.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: Would it be best to buy a separate Office Suite and install it myself?
:
: Any advice would be appreciated.
:
: TIA
: Anne in UK
:
:

If you don't qualify for the Student and Teacher Edition, check the price
Dell (or other OEM offers). For example, I have in hand an ad from Dell for
a laptop that comes with no software except Windows. One of the "Recommended
Upgrades" is Microsoft Office Small Business Edition (which includes Word,
Excel, Outlook, and Publisher) for $249.

If you really need only Word, you can get Word 2002 (along with Works 8,
Encarta 2005, Money 2005, PictureIt! Premium 10, and Streets & Trips 2005)
as part of Works Suite 2005 for as little as $70 after the mail-in rebate.

"hkbs" wrote in message
:I am hoping to buy a new PC sometime soon.
: All the ones I have seen in places like PC World and Dell appear to have
: Windows XP and Microsoft Works installed. I understand that there are
: problems with Works - at the moment I have Windows 98 and Office Pro,
which
: has Word 2000.
:
: Would it be best to buy a separate Office Suite and install it myself?
:
: Any advice would be appreciated.
:
: TIA
: Anne in UK
:
:

Amedee Van Gasse

hkbs shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.newusers:

I am hoping to buy a new PC sometime soon.
All the ones I have seen in places like PC World and Dell appear to
have Windows XP and Microsoft Works installed. I understand that
there are problems with Works - at the moment I have Windows 98 and
Office Pro, which has Word 2000.

Would it be best to buy a separate Office Suite and install it myself?

Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Anne in UK

You could always download OpenOffice: http://openoffice.org.
;-)
It's free, that means 249 reasons to use it. ;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?