Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aprelia Aprelia is offline

Default How do I make an automatic number list static?

I have an automatic numbered list in Word that I want to make static so that
I can move things around without losing the attached number. Can this be
done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word MVP Stefan Blom has supplied these instructions:

To convert autonumbering (paragraph/outline numbering and LISTNUM
fields) to plain text, do the following: Make sure the active
document is the one you want to convert. Then press ALT+F11 to
display the Visual Basic Editor. On the View menu, click
Immediate Window. In the Immediate Window, type

ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText

and press ENTER.

Note that if paragraph/outline numbering was applied with styles,
it isn't completely gone (CTRL+Q will bring it back!) unless you
also clear it from the style definitions.

"Aprelia" wrote in message
I have an automatic numbered list in Word that I want to make static so

that
I can move things around without losing the attached number. Can this be
done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

What I get from your post is that you want to take the entries in a
sequentially numberd lise (1,2,3,4,5) and rearrange them in *non*-sequential
order (5,3,2,4,1). Degree of difficulty may vary from one version of Word to
another - something you neglect to mention, BTW - but I don't think I'd even
try.

Another approach (especially if you don't need to do this repetitvely) is to
just use a 2 column table. Put the numbers in column 1 & the items in column
2 of the respective row. Adjust the width of the columns as appropriate &
turn off the table Borders if you prefer.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones