Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mdavison mdavison is offline

Default Setting Date property in a form field

Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date' property type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Alt+F9 indicates that this indicates a DATE field, which presumably will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the CREATEDATE field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date' property

type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mdavison mdavison is offline

Unfortunatly, no I can't save it as a template. I am working in a document
management system and can't do that. I CAN make the doc 'View Only" to the
rest of my staff - which achieves the same end. You think it wont work if
its a DOC?
Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Alt+F9 indicates that this indicates a DATE field, which presumably will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the CREATEDATE field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

so
all may benefit.

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date' property

type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to

offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How are you going to use it as a form if you don't have a template? If you
intend to reuse the document (saving under another name) I suppose you could
still use CREATEDATE or SAVEDATE).

"mdavison" wrote in message
Unfortunatly, no I can't save it as a template. I am working in a document
management system and can't do that. I CAN make the doc 'View Only" to the
rest of my staff - which achieves the same end. You think it wont work if
its a DOC?
Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Alt+F9 indicates that this indicates a DATE field, which presumably will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the CREATEDATE field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date'

property
type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time

the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to

offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

I am trying to do something similar...I think. I am creating a form/template
and would like the "Date" field to default to the current date, BUT I would
also like users to be able change that date if they need to. Everything I've
tried seems to put the current date in there, but locks the field from
changes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date' property

type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It would appear that you can either use a Date type of Text Form Field, in
which fillin is enabled, or a Current Date field, which inserts a DATE
field, which can't be changed.

"Brian" wrote in message
I am trying to do something similar...I think. I am creating a

form/template
and would like the "Date" field to default to the current date, BUT I

would
also like users to be able change that date if they need to. Everything

I've
tried seems to put the current date in there, but locks the field from
changes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Alt+F9 indicates that this inserts a DATE field, which presumably will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the CREATEDATE field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date'

property
type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually

insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time

the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to

make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to

offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

I can't use a Current Date field if it cannot be changed. What do you mean by
"a Date type of Text Form Field?" Is that when you enter a text field and
then basically just format it to be a date?

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date'

property
type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will actually
insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next time

the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual code to
make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt to

offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

I tried that, but when I choose Insert | Field and select Date then protect
the form, users are unable to get into the Date field if they need to change
it. Let me explain my situation so as maybe to clarify what I am trying to
do. I am creating a form that is used to evaluate employees. The Date field
on the form must reflect the date that the eval was done. However, the form
may be completed on a future date. Therefore, if someone is evaluated on
10/4, but the form is not completed until 10/6, the date needs to read 10/4,
not 10/6.

Is there anyway to insert that date automatically but also allow the user to
change it if need be? Every option I've tried seems to lock the field.

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date'
property
type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will

actually
insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next

time
the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual

code to
make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't hurt

offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

Ok, I am able to do that. But, can I have the default date in that field be
the current date instead of a specific date?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, no. Insert a Text Form Field (just as you were doing before) and select
Date rather than Current Date as the field type.

"mdavison" wrote in message
Hi y'all. I'm using Win XP/Office 03 on a Novell 6.x network.

Can someone tell me for sure whether or not the 'Current Date'
property
type
of a text field, inserted simply from the Forms toolbar will
actually
insert
the current date as a STAMP and NOT update that value the next
time
the
form/template is opened? Or do I need to substitute the actual
code to
make
it do that? I think I have the correct code, but it couldn't

hurt
offer
it up. ;-)

Thanks,
-Monica

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, no. Insert a Text Form Field (just as you were doing before) and

select
Date rather than Current Date as the field type.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Alt+F9 indicates that this inserts a DATE field, which

presumably
will
update. Instead of inserting a form field, use the

CREATEDATE
field
(assuming you are creating the form as a template).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"mdavison" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

Thanks for all your help Suzanne. I think I finally understand it now.

Do you know anything about adding a pop-up calendar to a date field on a
protected template in Word?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, no. Insert a Text Form Field (just as you were doing before) and

select
Date rather than Current Date as the field type.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"mdavison" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think popup calendars are available only as ActiveX controls, which are
not compatible with protected forms.

"Brian" wrote in message
Thanks for all your help Suzanne. I think I finally understand it now.

Do you know anything about adding a pop-up calendar to a date field on a
protected template in Word?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, no. Insert a Text Form Field (just as you were doing before) and

select
Date rather than Current Date as the field type.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.