Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth[_2_] Elizabeth[_2_] is offline

Default Autmatically change View

As in Adobe Acrobat/Reader, I would like to be able to scroll down from a
letter sized document to an 11 X 17 sized sheet and have it automatically
resize to fit on the screen. Any suggestions? Can this be done? Macro
maybe?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Elizabeth,

If you're in Word 2007 you can use View=Zoom=Page width or
View=Zoom=One Page, depending on whether you want to see the document width or literally the whole page. You can also right click
the status bar to turn on 'Zoom' and click on the percentage zoom choice on the status bar to open the dialog

In Word 2003, the zoom drop down has those choices.

In either version you can also assign a keyboard shortcut to a particular zoom setting. In Word 2007
Office Button=Word Options=Customize=Keyboard=View
and set one for ViewZoomWholePage or ViewZoomPageWidth

In Word 2003, same settings but through Tools=Customize=Keyboard

You can also set a default zoom setting with the information here.
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/SaveViewAndZoom.htm (For Word 2007 the template is Normal.DotM, for prior versions, Normal.Dot

============
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline

Bob, thank you very much for the quick reply. My problem is, I have a letter
size page and then the next is tabloid. Upon my customer's request, I need
to know how to get Word to "automatically" resize the view the page width
when you go from page to page. The letter size is page width; jump down to
tabloid and it automatically resizes to that page width. Similar to what
happens if you are in print preview...it resize each page for you. Is THIS
possible?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It would be really handy if you could have (without a macro) a button or
keyboard shortcut for a truly custom Zoom. I have many documents for which
105% is the optimum Zoom. In Customize | All Commands, you can get the ones
you mentioned, plus 200, 100, and 75, but there's no custom selection. What
I envision is something like the Condensed: button in All Commands, where
you can set a specific amount of condensing (condensation?). I have (in Word
2003 and on an add-in toolbar in Word 2007) a button to condense text by 0.1
point, which I use extensively. There's no indication that you can't have
more than one of these buttons to condense by different amounts; the same
could be true of a user-customizable Zoom setting.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Elizabeth,

What Word 'watches' in Print Preview and Full Screen Reading view is a bit different than in the usual 'editing' views. As near as
I can tell Word is using the exact same command

ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitBestFit

in both print layout and print preview, so perhaps internally Word is doing something along the line of 'if page being viewed
changes then reset view to WdPageFitBestFit' and perhaps one of the MVPs who work with macros can write one that can do that in real
time. It's what Word seems to do when you choose Zoom to Text Width (there isn't a listing for that in the keyboard shortcut list),
that is, it's recalculating the size needed to 'make it fit' the current screen width.

You can assign a keyboard shortcut
Office Button=Word Options=Customize=Keyboard=View=ZoomPageWidth
that could be used when the page size changes.

By the way, you can edit the document in Print Preview (and Full screen reading view) if you turn off the 'magnifier' choice,
although you wouldn't have access to all of the Word menus/ribbons/commands.

===========
"Elizabeth" wrote in message ...
Bob, thank you very much for the quick reply. My problem is, I have a letter
size page and then the next is tabloid. Upon my customer's request, I need
to know how to get Word to "automatically" resize the view the page width
when you go from page to page. The letter size is page width; jump down to
tabloid and it automatically resizes to that page width. Similar to what
happens if you are in print preview...it resize each page for you. Is THIS possible?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline

Thank you for ALL of your help! Yes, I think that a macro sounds exactly
like the solution. Unfortunately, I am not at that level, yet. Is there
anyone who can help me with this? I would GREATLY appreciate the help@! A
million thanks, E

"Elizabeth" wrote in message ...
Bob, thank you very much for the quick reply. My problem is, I have a letter
size page and then the next is tabloid. Upon my customer's request, I need
to know how to get Word to "automatically" resize the view the page width
when you go from page to page. The letter size is page width; jump down to
tabloid and it automatically resizes to that page width. Similar to what
happens if you are in print preview...it resize each page for you. Is THIS possible?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For instructions on installing macros in Word, see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Bob, thank you very much for the quick reply. My problem is, I have a
letter
size page and then the next is tabloid. Upon my customer's request, I
need
to know how to get Word to "automatically" resize the view the page width
when you go from page to page. The letter size is page width; jump down
tabloid and it automatically resizes to that page width. Similar to what
happens if you are in print preview...it resize each page for you. Is
THIS possible?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But I realize, reading Bob's reply again, that I'm a step ahead here...
There is not yet a working macro. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Bob, thank you very much for the quick reply. My problem is, I have a
letter
size page and then the next is tabloid. Upon my customer's request, I
need
to know how to get Word to "automatically" resize the view the page
width
when you go from page to page. The letter size is page width; jump down
tabloid and it automatically resizes to that page width. Similar to
what
happens if you are in print preview...it resize each page for you. Is
THIS possible?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

although you wouldn't have access to all of the Word menus/ribbons/commands.

Sure you would, you just need to add them the same way you show/hide
toolbars while in the regular UI. I have added all major toolbars to my Print
Preview because I use that view when I finalize a document. I want all the
regular tools so that I can touch up bits and pieces as I scroll down
checking for errros and flaws...

That being said (or written!), I do not have 2007 on my machine, and I do
not remember if the Ribbon can be as flexible with Print Preview...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline

Unfortunately, I do not know how to write a macro and I'm not sure how
difficult of a task this is to ask of someone. If this isn't too time
consuming, can someone help me with this?

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Bob, thank you very much for the quick reply. My problem is, I have a
letter
size page and then the next is tabloid. Upon my customer's request, I
need
to know how to get Word to "automatically" resize the view the page width
when you go from page to page. The letter size is page width; jump down
tabloid and it automatically resizes to that page width. Similar to what
happens if you are in print preview...it resize each page for you. Is
THIS possible?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Jean-Guy,

Yes, in older versions you can add to Print Preview view, and you could use the multipage icon from Print Preview on regular
toolbars (one of my favorites that along with the zoom slider seems gone from Word 2007) Unfortunately for Word 2007 it's a bit
more effort to modify that view without doing some XML work with the ribbon it would seem.

In this case, the goal for Elizabeth would be to replicate in Print Layout view the Word 2003/2007 ability to maintain 'page width'
and or 'text width' as a view as you scroll through a document, no matter the page size, without having to 'reset it' by running a
Word command on each new page.

======================
"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote in message
"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:
Sure you would, you just need to add them the same way you show/hide
toolbars while in the regular UI. I have added all major toolbars to my Print
Preview because I use that view when I finalize a document. I want all the
regular tools so that I can touch up bits and pieces as I scroll down
checking for errros and flaws...

That being said (or written!), I do not have 2007 on my machine, and I do
not remember if the Ribbon can be as flexible with Print Preview...
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I can't see any straightforward and reliable way of doing this using
in-built controls (though no doubt someone will come along with a better
way) but you can add a custom toolbar with two buttons - scroll up and
scroll down which you would associate with the following macros. The macros
simply scroll up or down five lines at a time and set the page zoom
according to whether the cursor is on a portrait or a landscape page.

Sub ScrollDown()
Selection.MoveDown Unit:=wdLine, Count:=5
If Selection.PageSetup.Orientation = wdOrientLandscape Then
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.PageFit = wdPageFitBestFit
Else
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage = 100
End If
End Sub

Sub ScrollUp()
Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdLine, Count:=5

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elizabeth Elizabeth is offline

Bob, the closest answer to what I need was listed by Stefan. That you can
see, is there a better way to do this?