Treesy

Default Formatting mark

Normally when I show the formatting marks, at the end of each line is the
paragraph symbol but I have a document that shows a bent arrow instead.
Perhaps an "enter" instead of new paragraph? Where might I find a list of
the different formatting marks and what they mean? Also, how can I use find
and replace to replace the bent arrows with the paragraph symbol? I can
delete each one and when I hit the enter button, it replaces it with the
correct paragraph symbol but quite time consuming.

Thanks!!
Greg Maxey

Treesy,

They are line breaks. Shift+Enter. They start a new line in an existing
paragraph.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

You can replace line break with

Find: ^l
Replace: ^p

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/Fi...Characters.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Treesy wrote:
Normally when I show the formatting marks, at the end of each line is
the paragraph symbol but I have a document that shows a bent arrow
instead. Perhaps an "enter" instead of new paragraph? Where might I
find a list of the different formatting marks and what they mean?
Also, how can I use find and replace to replace the bent arrows with
the paragraph symbol? I can delete each one and when I hit the enter
button, it replaces it with the correct paragraph symbol but quite
time consuming.

Thanks!!

Charles Kenyon

Bent arrow = manual line break. Shift-Enter will insert one of these.
Replace ^l with ^p to change to a paragraph break or with a space to delete.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Treesy" wrote in message
Normally when I show the formatting marks, at the end of each line is the
paragraph symbol but I have a document that shows a bent arrow instead.
Perhaps an "enter" instead of new paragraph? Where might I find a list of
the different formatting marks and what they mean? Also, how can I use
find
and replace to replace the bent arrows with the paragraph symbol? I can
delete each one and when I hit the enter button, it replaces it with the
correct paragraph symbol but quite time consuming.

Thanks!!

Lisa

The bent arrow is a Shift-Enter. Each time you press Enter you will get a
paragraph symbol. WHen you press Shift-Enter you will get the bent arrow.
IF you allow the text to wrap to the next line you see nothing. I tried to
do a find and replace and couldn't get that to work, but I think it would be
possible.