Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Elin Elin is offline

Default Numbers in caption get a strikethrough

Hi folks!

I have a document with a lot of tables. I use captions with automatic
numbering, including the number form Heading 1. My problem is that the number
that refers to the Heading is formatted with a double strikethrough (only the
one number - the rest of the caption and the table number is OK). Also in the
cross references to the chapters or the tables the heading number has this
format. This is only visible on the printout (not in the document and not in
the print preview).

The problem might have arised when I used Track Changes earlier. I have
tried to select the entire document and accept all changes. I have also tried
to remove all numbers in headings and in captions and renumbering them. All
without any luck.

I appreciate any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Which version of Word is this? Recent versions have an option to Accept All
Changes in Document, which usually works. If you also turn off Track Changes
and update the cross-reference fields (for example by selecting the whole
document and pressing F9), that should fix it.

If it still doesn't work, copy the contents of the file into a new blank
document: In the source document, make sure that Track Changes is turned on;
in the target document, make sure that Track Changes is turned off, and then
copy and paste. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...s.html#Copying.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Elin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Elin Elin is offline

Hi!

I am using Word 2003.

I have tried to Accept all changes, and also to update all fields. I have
now also tried to copy the document as you described. But the formatting is
still there.

Thanks for trying. Any other suggestions?

"Elin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This is strange. Reading your original message again, I notice that it
happens only on print. If you try a different printer, does that help?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Elin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Elin Elin is offline

This is strange. And I have never seen it before. I have tried different
printers. And it does not make any difference.

Elin

"Elin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You may want to try copying the contents except for the final paragraph mark
(¶) to a new blank document. Does that make a difference?

Note that in order to show/hide paragraph marks as well as any nonprinting
marks, you can press Ctrl+Shift+8.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Elin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Elin Elin is offline

No. Still no luck.

Thanks for trying.

Elin

"Elin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm out of ideas. Sorry. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Elin" wrote in message
No. Still no luck.

Thanks for trying.

Elin

"Elin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hi Elin,

If you use File=Web Page Preview does the number show the strikethrough in the browser?

While in the browser if you right click and choose Edit=Source
and use 'Find' on the source to look for mailto
does it find that string in the file?

Can you provide a link to a problem document via blog, webpage or online file storage area?

=============
"Elin" wrote in message ...
No. Still no luck.

Thanks for trying.

Elin
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Have you tried to clear formatting on the number?

Run open and repair, if Word finds and fixes errors in the numbering or
styles, that may clear up the problem. I Word opens cleanly, then the
problem may be bad formatting.

You haven't said, so I have to ask. How do the numbers in your heading 1s
look? In any case, check the number format for outline list level 1. If
the double strikethrough is selected or if the "sometimes" square is there in
the font dialog, clear it. And if that doesn't help...

Unlinked styles (Char char styles) can cause odd formatting behavior, so you
might look for those. Search for information about them before trying to
delete them.

Although I'm not sure how much good they do, I also generally delete unused
user-defined styles and delete style aliases when I'm trying to get rid of
this kind of error. ...an uncluttered document is a stable document...??

I hope this helps,
PamC

Elin wrote:
No. Still no luck.

Thanks for trying.

Elin

You may want to try copying the contents except for the final paragraph mark
(¶) to a new blank document. Does that make a difference?

[quoted text clipped - 77 lines]

I appreciate any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Elin Elin is offline

Hi!

The numbers in my headings look like normal. No strikethrough on either
heading1 or heading2 (where also the number from heading1 is included).

I am sorry but I did not quite understand your instructions. Where do I find
open and repair?

I cannot find any strikethrough formatting on either the heading or the
caption.

Where do I find information about unliked styles?

And a question about deleting styles: Will the styles be deleted from obly
this document or from the Normal.dot template?

Thanks so much for helping.

Elin

"PamC via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

[...]

Elin wrote:
No. Still no luck.

Thanks for trying.

Elin

You may want to try copying the contents except for the final paragraph mark
(¶) to a new blank document. Does that make a difference?

[quoted text clipped - 77 lines]

I appreciate any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I reread the whole thread and realized that I forgot that this only appears
in print. I think that means that none of my suggestions will be helpful.
But to answer your questions...

I am sorry but I did not quite understand your instructions. Where do I find
open and repair?

From within Word's Open dialog, click a file name. On Open button in the
lower right corner, click the down arrow. There you'll see Open and Repair.
This is a programmatic way of copying everything but the last paragraph mark
of a document and pasting it into a new doc, except that open and repair
finds€”and repairs€” errors in other places besides that last paragraph mark.

Where do I find information about unliked styles?

I would search for unlinked styles in the archives of lists like this one,
Woody's Lounge, and the Word MVP site. Unlinked styles are also called Char
Char styles because char is one of the signals for them. (Have you ever seen
Heading 1, Charor Body Text, Char Char Char?)

And a question about deleting styles: Will the styles be deleted from obly
this document or from the Normal.dot template?

Yes, when you delete styles they are only deleted from the document you are
in.

Sorry about the delay in replying. Got to pay the rent. I hope you've
found an answer to your problem

Elin wrote:
[...]
Thanks so much for helping.