Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Searcher_5

Default Numbering Caption of Figures correctly

Well, in a document with about 16 chapters and lots of subchapters I
use graphs. Below these Graphs are captions. Everything worked fine
until now. Suddenly, all captions start with a numbering of
0.something, e.g. 0.35 for the 35th picture, whereas before they
included the correct chapter number.

If I create a new caption of a new picture and click the "include
chapter number" option for the caption, a message pops up:

"There is no chapter number to include in the caption or page
number..."

How is this possible, I have a lot of chapter numbers based of the
built-in styles?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Searcher_5

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
What heading level is set for the chapter number to include?

Hi Suzanne,
the first heading level has no numbering.
I start numbering with the 2nd Heading level, like 1
then 3rd heading level, like 1.1.
then 4th heading level, like 1.1.1.
and so forth...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

In the Insert | Reference | Caption dialog, click Numbering... In the
Caption Numbering dialog, where you have "Include chapter number" checked,
what heading style is selected? If it's Heading 1, then that's your problem,
since Heading 1 has no numbering. If it's Heading 2, it should be working.
If you want to use Heading 1, you'll have to apply numbering to Heading 1,
this can be formatted as Hidden, followed by "(nothing)," and not included
in lower outline list levels, but there will have to be some numbering if
you want the captions to use it.

"Searcher_5" wrote in message
oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
What heading level is set for the chapter number to include?

Hi Suzanne,
the first heading level has no numbering.
I start numbering with the 2nd Heading level, like 1
then 3rd heading level, like 1.1.
then 4th heading level, like 1.1.1.
and so forth...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Searcher_5

Great Suzanne!

That's it, it is so simple :-) Thanks a lot!