Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
picrawf picrawf is offline

Default Updating an index of a large document in Word 2007

I have a large document (will be over 1000 pages) that I have been indexing
as I edit formatting. I just "merged" (not actually, just cut & pasted)
another document onto the end of the original document and will be doing this
another 4-5 times. I would like to have my previously indexed words to be
discovered in the newly added data.

I thought I could possibly go to each indexed word and click on them and
press F9 to update. For some reason Update Index Items is always greyed out.

Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi picrawf

"picrawf" wrote:
I have a large document (will be over 1000 pages) that I have been indexing
as I edit formatting. I just "merged" (not actually, just cut & pasted)
another document onto the end of the original document and will be doing this
another 4-5 times. I would like to have my previously indexed words to be
discovered in the newly added data.

Indexes can be compiled manually (by marking each occurrence, or inserting
XE fields directly), or automatically by using a concordance file. If you've
used the latter approach for your document, you can run it again once you've
inserted new material, I presume -- I've never really used a concordance file
myself. The reasons are described he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CreateIndex.htm

HTH
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
picrawf picrawf is offline

Default Indexing new additions to document

I manually marked each indexed word but I chose it to mark all occurrences of
that word - so, for example, it would find all occurrences of "carbon" and
mark them. Now I have added a new section to the document, I want to it to
discover my previously marked words in my new text. Guess that's not gonna
happen, huh?