Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tylerj_24 tylerj_24 is offline

Default sort bullets alphabetically

I'm using Microsoft Word 2003
I'm wondering if there is a way to sort alphabetically a bulleted list by
main (first/leading) bullets and not by every indented(second/third) bullet
under the main bullet listed on that page. For example, Lets say that you
are creating a list of main bullets (vocabulary words), but within each
bullet (before the next main bullet) you hit enter and tab (indent) another
different style of bullet where you comment (defining the vocabulary word) on
the first bullet(vocabulary word). You then hit enter again, Decrease
Indent, moving to the next main bullet(vocabulary word), hit enter, tab, and
then under the next(second) style of bullet again, comment on the second
(vocabulary word) main bullet. I was wondering if you could alphabetically
order the main bullets(vocabulary words) without also alphabetically ordering
every bullet ( all the second and third bullets describing the first
bullet/vocabulary word) under the main bullet. I have a much fuller
explanation if needed. This is kind of a hard scenario to describe.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I see what you are saying. You can't customize Word's sorting, but you
can construct the document to take advantages of the defaults.

Alternate Approach #1:
I would probably hit shift-enter to insert a line break between the
vocabulary word and the definition. Then the whole thing remains one
paragraph, and Select All, Table | Sort will only sort by paragraphs.
Use Format | Paragraph to set a hanging indent that will indent the
second and further lines. You won't get the bullet on the
definition--but to be honest, if you have indenting, I don't see why you
also need bullets. This approach might fall down with multiple definitions.

Alternate Approach #2:
If you were using Heading styles with outline levels instead of bullets,
it is possible in Outline View to set only the major Headings to show,
and then to Sort the Headings. The Heading would then carry the
subordinate text with them as they were sorted. More on outline view:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingOLView.htm

I would say it depends on your document whether #1 or #2 is better--eg,
#1 might fit a glossary with short translations, but #2 might be better
for an encyclopedia with lots of text under each entry.

That's how I would handle it. I don't use Word's bullets--it's possible
that they DO assign an Outline level and that the Outline View trick
would work even without using headings. It's also possible someone else
will come along with a better idea about how to sort the document you
have. You might experiment with the methods I suggests ON A COPY and
see how you like them.