Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LFM LFM is offline

Default how to get multi-line text item to insert off a pick list on a form.

Here is the situation.

I have a Fax transmittion form for a company with 5 offices. I want
to create a single document that can be used by all 5 offices. (that
way where there is a change to the document we are only changing 1
document, not 5).

The fax form is a protected form with form fields. But it has to be in
*.doc format, not *.dot.

I would like to have a selection box something like "Select Office"
with a drop list of office #1 thru office #5, and when the user
selects his local office (# 1 thru #5) from the list, it will populate
the address and phone/fax fields on the form with that office's
information.

I do not want the "select office" to show up on the printed form, only
the address of that office.

What is the best way to go about creating this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Lfm,

I have a Fax transmittion form for a company with 5 offices. I want
to create a single document that can be used by all 5 offices. (that
way where there is a change to the document we are only changing 1
document, not 5).

The fax form is a protected form with form fields. But it has to be in
*.doc format, not *.dot.

I would like to have a selection box something like "Select Office"
with a drop list of office #1 thru office #5, and when the user
selects his local office (# 1 thru #5) from the list, it will populate
the address and phone/fax fields on the form with that office's
information.

I do not want the "select office" to show up on the printed form, only
the address of that office.

What is the best way to go about creating this?

Best would probably be to use a text form field (rather than list) on
the document. Entering the form field would trigger a macro that
displays the list in a UserForm. The user makes the selection, then the
macro writes the required information into the text form field. This KB
article demonstrates the principle, you should be able to adapt it
fairly easily to your requirement

WD2000: How to Create a Combo Box Containing More Than 25 Items

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:30:52 +0200, Cindy M.
wrote:

Hi Lfm,

[...]

Another alternative is to use an AutoTextList field
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...oTextList.htm). To use
it in a protected form that has other form fields, you would have to
separate the AutoTextList from the rest of the form with a continuous
section break, and leave that section unprotected.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman