Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
dlf dlf is offline

Default Columns of equal length in Word 2007

In Word 2007 how do I create two (or more) columns that are always of equal
length in ? I used to be able to do this in Word 2003.

When I create two columns now and fill the first column with text it flows
over to the second column and looks like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whereas I'm trying to make it look like this without manually inserting a
column break:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To balance the columns, insert a continuous section break at the end of the
text (Page Layout tab | Breaks | Continuous). FWIW, this behavior has not
changed from previous versions of Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"dlf" wrote in message
In Word 2007 how do I create two (or more) columns that are always of
equal
length in ? I used to be able to do this in Word 2003.

When I create two columns now and fill the first column with text it flows
over to the second column and looks like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whereas I'm trying to make it look like this without manually inserting a
column break:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Good point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There is a Compatibility Options setting that determines whether columns
are
balanced, however, and this setting might have changed.

so
all may benefit.

"dlf" wrote in message
In Word 2007 how do I create two (or more) columns that are always of
equal
length in ? I used to be able to do this in Word 2003.

When I create two columns now and fill the first column with text it

flows
over to the second column and looks like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Whereas I'm trying to make it look like this without manually inserting

column break:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad I could help.

But note that a continuous section break doesn't work if the "Don't balance
columns at the start of Continuous sections" compatibility option is checked
(in Office button | Word Options, Advanced category, under the
"Compatibility Options for" heading).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP