Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
VCuser VCuser is offline

Default Word won't align numbered headings correctly

This is what I get:

I. Introduction

Text paragraph like this xxx wuwwiw kwowoowwo wwoowowoww wwowo
xxssussoso etc.

Neither the heading nor the normal paragraph has an indent [or outdent] and
the style ppreview does not show it that way.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Have you set the desired "Tab space after" and "Indent at" positions in
Format | Bullets and Numbering? The following text paragraph will hae to
have a left indent to match the numbered style.

"VCuser" wrote in message
This is what I get:

I. Introduction

Text paragraph like this xxx wuwwiw kwowoowwo wwoowowoww wwowo
xxssussoso etc.

Neither the heading nor the normal paragraph has an indent [or outdent]
and
the style ppreview does not show it that way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
VCuser VCuser is offline

I'm working in Word 2007, in which I can't even find Format | Bullets and
Numbering. Where should I look?

"VCuser" wrote in message
This is what I get:

I. Introduction

Text paragraph like this xxx wuwwiw kwowoowwo wwoowowoww wwowo
xxssussoso etc.

Neither the heading nor the normal paragraph has an indent [or outdent]
and
the style ppreview does not show it that way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

My knowledge of Word 2007 is sketchy, but the following is a mostly relevant
answer posted by Stefan Blom in response to a similar question:

The principle for multilevel (outline) numbering is the same in Word 2007,
but it has become easier, *and* as more difficult, to create and edit it.
sigh

The easiest way to create the Article/Section format is this: On the Home
tab, click the Multilevel List button. Click the built-in "Article I Section
1.01" format, found under "List Library."

To edit an existing list, place the insertion point in a top-level item
(which means a Heading 1 paragraph if numbering was created with heading
styles). Then click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List.
This displays a dialog box similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List
dialog box of previous versions, which allows you to change the numbering
options, attach paragraph styles to levels (if this hasn't already been
done) etc. See also
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

Note, however, that if you are creating a multilevel list from start, it
will be safer to click Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New List Style.
You can then set up numbering and attach each level to a paragraph style (if
you click Format, Numbering in the Modify Style dialog box). Editing an
existing style will be easier, since you can right-click the style in the
"List Styles" section (under Home tab | Multilevel List) and choose Modify
from the context menu.

"VCuser" wrote in message
This is what I get:

I. Introduction

Text paragraph like this xxx wuwwiw kwowoowwo wwoowowoww wwowo
xxssussoso etc.

Neither the heading nor the normal paragraph has an indent [or outdent]
and
the style ppreview does not show it that way.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
VCuser VCuser is offline

This heading alignment problem apparently arose from a default [and dumb]
setting in the number format area. I fixed the problem by:
Select heading style with the problem
Modify Style
Format Numbering
Define New Number Format
Alignmment--Change from "Right" to "Left"
These problems working with things that should be simple brings nostalgia
for Word 5. Thanks for trying to help. Bill was right--Word 2007 needs a
"use legacy interface" option. And it needs to get numbering and styles
right.