Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
xorren xorren is offline

Default file open/views/details set details as default

When I OPEN a file, I would like my VIEWS to always be set as DETAILS. How
can I set this to be the permanent and forever default, ...so that for every
time, for all files and all folders the VIEW is always set to be DETAILS?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Xorren,

Welll, can't guarantee 'forever' and depending on your version of Office the open and save dialogs may exhibit 'independent
thinking' g, but generally, in Windows Explorer Tools=Folder Options and when you set the folders decide if you want to let
individual folders 'remember' their last settings.

===================
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
xorren xorren is offline

Thanks, Bob. But that recommnedation did not work. I am using Vista and
tried your suggestion, but no luck. I hear the voice of Obi-wan saying
something about "open source", but I can't quite hear him clearly. Thanks,
again.

"xorren" wrote in message ...
When I OPEN a file, I would like my VIEWS to always be set as DETAILS. How
can I set this to be the permanent and forever default, ...so that for every
time, for all files and all folders the VIEW is always set to be DETAILS?
Thanks!
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Xorren,

Settings are a bit different in Vista, one of the folks who are actively using it may be able to help with that version.

By the way, Microsoft has a couple of Open Source websites/projects they support g, but not sure how that relates to the current
issue

==============
"xorren" wrote in message ...
Thanks, Bob. But that recommnedation did not work. I am using Vista and
tried your suggestion, but no luck. I hear the voice of Obi-wan saying
something about "open source", but I can't quite hear him clearly. Thanks,
again
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ktm ktm is offline

Default file open/views/details set details VISTA offfice sees NAME only!

To: Bob, AND Any one else Who can enlighten me, Please:

I am having a similar yet more annoying problem (upon file open or save
/view ... I CAN'T GET TO SEE the precious "date modified" under VIEW DETAILS,
even if I select it each time -- I only get the NAME Column under VISTA and
Office 2003)

Is this a known problem under VISTA and office2003 ??

system: VISTA Business SP1, Office 2003 SP3

--
ktm_...an IT advanced amateur yet forever novice !

"xorren" wrote in message ...
When I OPEN a file, I would like my VIEWS to always be set as DETAILS. How
can I set this to be the permanent and forever default, ...so that for every
time, for all files and all folders the VIEW is always set to be DETAILS?
Thanks!
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ktm ktm is offline

Default file open/views/details set details as default in VISTA

I am having an annoying problem (upon file open or save /view ... I CAN'T GET
TO SEE the precious "date modified" under VIEW DETAILS, even if I select it
each time -- I only get the NAME Column under VISTA and Office 2003)

Is this a known problem under VISTA and office2003 ??

system: VISTA Business SP1, Office 2003 SP3

I am having an annoying problem (upon file open or save /view ... I CAN'T GET
TO SEE the precious "date modified" under VIEW DETAILS, even if I select it
each time -- I only get the NAME Column under VISTA and Office 2003)

Is this a known problem under VISTA and office2003 ??

system: VISTA Business SP1, Office 2003 SP3

--
ktm_...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:39:28 -0800, ktm wrote:

I am having an annoying problem (upon file open or save /view ... I CAN'T GET
TO SEE the precious "date modified" under VIEW DETAILS, even if I select it
each time -- I only get the NAME Column under VISTA and Office 2003)

Is this a known problem under VISTA and office2003 ??

system: VISTA Business SP1, Office 2003 SP3

No, this is not a known problem, and shouldn't be a problem at all. Have you
tried right-clicking the "Name" header in the Details view? You should get a
menu where you can check the items you want to see, including "Date modified".
Whatever settings you choose should stay chosen, even through a reboot.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ktm ktm is offline

Thanks... It worked. !
Actually I do recall it was Okay earlier -- and when it was lost I had
thought it is possibly related to some ServPack or security update.
I'll see if it stays on recalling the detailed column selections across
drives and from different office modules.

Thanks again. Your reply has been helpful
--

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 15:39:28 -0800, ktm wrote:

I am having an annoying problem (upon file open or save /view ... I CAN'T GET
TO SEE the precious "date modified" under VIEW DETAILS, even if I select it
each time -- I only get the NAME Column under VISTA and Office 2003)

Is this a known problem under VISTA and office2003 ??

system: VISTA Business SP1, Office 2003 SP3

No, this is not a known problem, and shouldn't be a problem at all. Have you
tried right-clicking the "Name" header in the Details view? You should get a
menu where you can check the items you want to see, including "Date modified".
Whatever settings you choose should stay chosen, even through a reboot.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EE in Need EE in Need is offline

I have the same problem on a Vista laptop and Word 2003. I can get the
details view that I want, go into properties view and say apply to all
folders and sub folders. Open next folder and details remain. If I click on
My Computer I see the drives without the extended details. I then click on
the original drive and the folders have lost their details, even go down the
original folder path as before, all I have is the 'Name' column.

My steps:
In my z:\Projects folder
right-click blank column heading, select Size as column heading
'Size' appears as column heading
right-click blank column heading, select Date Modified as column heading
'Date Modified' appears as column heading
right-click blank column space, select Properties, then Customize, then
checkbox Also apply this template to all subfolders. Select OK
goto z:\Projects\Temp
I have 'Name', 'Size', 'Date Modified' column headings.
Goto 'My Computer', 'Name' is the only heading
goto Z:\Projects and 'Name' is again the only heading
Goto z:\Projects\Temp and 'Name' is again the only heading.

Vista 32bit, Office 2003 SP3

Frustrated,

Steve