Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw

Default Multilevel sorting

I need to combine two files; each containing a long alphabetical list of main
entries, each main entry containing alphabetical subentries that must remain
with their respective main entry. How do I do a sort of this level so that I
end up with one larger file, containing all main entries of both files,
alphaetized, but each of the main entries keeping their respective subentries?

Many thanks,

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw

Thank you for showing me this information.

How do I format the main entries with a heading style? I see how the source
shows how to use it once you have formatted it, but how to get there in the
first place?

Many thanks,

Tobiah

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If the main entries are formatted with a heading style, you can use Outline
view; see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm

I need to combine two files; each containing a long alphabetical list of main
entries, each main entry containing alphabetical subentries that must remain

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw via OfficeKB.com

Thank you.

I tried applying it to the two indexes I want to collate, but I do not get
heading levels by using this method.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Click in the paragraph and apply the style by selecting it from the Styles
dropdown or Styles and Formatting task pane.

Thank you for showing me this information.

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

What is the format of the "indexes" you are dealing with. And are these
INDEX fields (or TOC fields)? If each line in the index is a separate
paragraph, you should be able to apply heading paragraph styles to the main
entries.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Click in the paragraph and apply the style by selecting it from the

Styles
dropdown or Styles and Formatting task pane.

Thank you for showing me this information.

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw via OfficeKB.com

There are two indexes I have made with the normal default settings, page view,
and no special formatting yet. For instance:
(where indicates indented space)

Aardvarks, 78
fat, 123
skinny, 45
tough, 765

It will be about a total of 200 pages between the two files, so you can see
it would greatly help to do this automatically, without having to manually
collate all the thousands of entries.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
What is the format of the "indexes" you are dealing with. And are these
INDEX fields (or TOC fields)? If each line in the index is a separate
paragraph, you should be able to apply heading paragraph styles to the main
entries.

Thank you.

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I guarantee that if you apply Heading 1 style to each main entry, you will
be able to sort this in Outline view. This assumes that there is a paragraph
break at the end of each line. If you have line breaks within entries (so
that each main entry is a single paragraph), it will be even easier: just
use Table | Sort.'

If your current set up has an empty paragraph (blank line) between main
entries, replace ^p with ^l (lowercase L), then replace ^l^l with ^p and you
will have the required format for using Table | Sort.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
What is the format of the "indexes" you are dealing with. And are these
INDEX fields (or TOC fields)? If each line in the index is a separate
paragraph, you should be able to apply heading paragraph styles to the

main
entries.

Thank you.

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tobiahw via OfficeKB.com

So would I highlight each main entry and choose Heading 1 style, or is there
a way to globally apply it?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I guarantee that if you apply Heading 1 style to each main entry, you will
be able to sort this in Outline view. This assumes that there is a paragraph
break at the end of each line. If you have line breaks within entries (so
that each main entry is a single paragraph), it will be even easier: just
use Table | Sort.'

If your current set up has an empty paragraph (blank line) between main
entries, replace ^p with ^l (lowercase L), then replace ^l^l with ^p and you
will have the required format for using Table | Sort.

There are two indexes I have made with the normal default settings, page view,
and no special formatting yet. For instance:

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

Tobiah

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Unless you can work out a search term that will find only your main entries,
the only way to do this is manually. Click in a main entry, apply Heading 1;
click in the next and press F4 (repeat); continue as needed.