Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default Hash Totals

Can I get a hash total on a document? A Hash total would assign a unique
number value to each character and then gives you the total of all those
numbers. If anything changes, anything, then there is a different hash
total. Thus the number of characters and spaces and words etc., might be the
same, but a hash total would be different, thus nailing any changes down.

I guess you could go thru and replace, but surely there is someone out here
that assigns a value for each character and space and then totals.

I am not confident in Word. I believe things are changed from opening to
opening and I am trying to guard the document to be absolutely certain that
the document is exactly the same....exactly
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi bretsharon,

Hash totals are only a weak form of protection - it's quite easy to modify a document in such a way as to keep the same has total.
For eample:
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
and:
The dray jump quiz governs the fox lock bow.
would generate the same hash total.

If you need to ensure someone doesn't change a document you've given them, supply it as a protected PDF.

--
Cheers
macropod

"bretsharon" wrote in message ...
Can I get a hash total on a document? A Hash total would assign a unique
number value to each character and then gives you the total of all those
numbers. If anything changes, anything, then there is a different hash
total. Thus the number of characters and spaces and words etc., might be the
same, but a hash total would be different, thus nailing any changes down.

I guess you could go thru and replace, but surely there is someone out here
that assigns a value for each character and space and then totals.

I am not confident in Word. I believe things are changed from opening to
opening and I am trying to guard the document to be absolutely certain that
the document is exactly the same....exactly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Even PDF protection can be worked around. Ultimately if you allow someone to
see a document then that document can be copied and the copy edited to
replace the original. There is not now and never will be a way around that -
people have been copying documents since writing became a form of
communication. The best protection for documents is to release only paper
copies marked with a pre-printed text watermark that repeats over the whole
background, making it difficult to use OCR software, and to sign the
document with a pen, which is more difficult to forge. That will not stop a
determined forger, but it might make it not worth his while.

"macropod" wrote in message
[...]

Sum totals from Different tables [email protected] Tables 1 March 30th 09 10:14 PM
Hash marks showing borders Ray Tables 3 October 21st 07 03:39 AM
In Word, the paragraph and other hash marks showing.. [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 06 12:11 AM
Hash marks Teri New Users 1 July 30th 05 11:12 PM
1/4" hash border Sandy New Users 1 December 9th 04 01:50 AM