w_e_coyote

Default how can I add legal "racing stripes" to a document

legal documents often contain vertical stripes down each side of mthe page --
hwo does one add such to a legal template?
Charles Kenyon

You draw graphic lines, formatted to be behind text, in the header or
footer. If you have different first-page headers/footers, you need to put
them in both the first page header or footer and the continuation page
header or footer.

I have these in a separate document. My pleading templates automatically
copy them from that document and put them where they belong in new documents
based on the template.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"w_e_coyote" wrote in message
legal documents often contain vertical stripes down each side of mthe
page --
hwo does one add such to a legal template?

Jay Freedman

On Tue, 3 May 2005 14:03:53 -0500, "Charles Kenyon"
wrote:

You draw graphic lines, formatted to be behind text, in the header or
footer. If you have different first-page headers/footers, you need to put
them in both the first page header or footer and the continuation page
header or footer.

I have these in a separate document. My pleading templates automatically
copy them from that document and put them where they belong in new documents
based on the template.

Hi Charles,

Is there a reason not to use page borders? In the Format Borders &
Shading Page Borders dialog, choose the line width and color, then
click the left and right edges of the preview to turn on only the
vertical borders.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Charles Kenyon

Is there a reason I don't use page borders?

(1) The lines delineate the left and right margins. These are not
symetrical; there is a wider left margin than right margin.
(2) I include text information such as my name, address, and phone number
outside the lines. I suppose I could add these in a header/footer instead.
(3) for many users, there is also line numbering outside the lines - i.e. in
the margin, same as above.

My main reason for doing it this way is that (I think) I learned the method
from the pleading wizard at some time in the distant past. That isn't a good
reason for doing anything, since I don't like the pleadings it produces. I
just checked and I can use page borders, set, as Suzanne suggested, at a
given distance from the text. I can put a frame with my text and a graphic
in the margin in the header that is outside the border. I am sure I could
put the page numbers there as well. Eventually I may switch over, especially
if it produces smaller documents.
--

wrote:

You draw graphic lines, formatted to be behind text, in the header or
footer. If you have different first-page headers/footers, you need to put
them in both the first page header or footer and the continuation page
header or footer.

I have these in a separate document. My pleading templates automatically
copy them from that document and put them where they belong in new
documents
based on the template.

Hi Charles,

Is there a reason not to use page borders? In the Format Borders &
Shading Page Borders dialog, choose the line width and color, then
click the left and right edges of the preview to turn on only the
vertical borders.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

On Tue, 3 May 2005 16:06:42 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

They'll need to be "From text" rather than "From edge of page," of course.

Ah yes, I keep forgetting that I'm blessed with seemingly the only
printer in the known universe that doesn't care how close to the edges
I go. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Charles Kenyon

The following macro comes close to what I want for the borders. May be of
use to others.

Sub Macro3()
'
' Macro3 Macro
' Macro written 5/3/2005 by Charles Kyle Kenyon
' Inserts page borders and sets margins for pleadings.
With Selection.Sections(1)
With .Borders(wdBorderLeft)
.LineStyle = wdLineStyleDouble
.LineWidth = wdLineWidth050pt
.Color = wdColorAutomatic
End With
With .Borders(wdBorderRight)
.LineStyle = wdLineStyleSingle
.LineWidth = wdLineWidth050pt
.Color = wdColorAutomatic
End With
.Borders(wdBorderTop).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
.Borders(wdBorderBottom).LineStyle = wdLineStyleNone
With .Borders
.DistanceFrom = wdBorderDistanceFromText
.AlwaysInFront = True
.SurroundHeader = False
.SurroundFooter = False
.JoinBorders = False
.DistanceFromTop = 24
.DistanceFromLeft = 4
.DistanceFromBottom = 24
.DistanceFromRight = 4
.Shadow = False
.EnableFirstPageInSection = True
.EnableOtherPagesInSection = True
.ApplyPageBordersToAllSections
End With
End With
With ActiveDocument.PageSetup
.TopMargin = InchesToPoints(1)
.BottomMargin = InchesToPoints(1)
.LeftMargin = InchesToPoints(1.5)
.RightMargin = InchesToPoints(0.8)
End With
End Sub
--

wrote:

You draw graphic lines, formatted to be behind text, in the header or
footer. If you have different first-page headers/footers, you need to put
them in both the first page header or footer and the continuation page
header or footer.

I have these in a separate document. My pleading templates automatically
copy them from that document and put them where they belong in new
documents
based on the template.

Hi Charles,

Is there a reason not to use page borders? In the Format Borders &
Shading Page Borders dialog, choose the line width and color, then
click the left and right edges of the preview to turn on only the
vertical borders.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

On Tue, 3 May 2005 17:46:25 -0500, "Charles Kenyon"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the explanation -- clearly there are more factors to
consider than I thought.

I've tried out the macro you posted. The result certainly looks good
to this untrained eye. I also added line numbers, and they sit in the
margin outside the border. If you're satisfied, so am I. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MoJR MoJR is offline

Charles,
I just found this reply to adding pleading formattig to a document.
I have the opposite problem. I have a document that has 7 pages in it. Pages
3-6 have the pleading format. When I try to add page 7 without the pleading
format, I get a series of bizaare results. The pleading formatting is
contained in the Header and Footer. So far, I have tried using a Section
Break/Next Page after the last line of page 6, disconncted the header of page
7 from the header of 6 as well as a few other things I've read. The best I've
come up with is removing the formatting elements successfully BUT, when I try
to reset the page margins for page 7, the pleading format from page 6 scoots
over to the margin settings for page 7.
I would like to fix this problem as it exists now, if possible. Maybe the
easiest thing would be to use the macro listed on this reply. However, I'm
not sure about how to use it to best advantage.
Any suggestions?
Thank You, MoJR

wrote:

You draw graphic lines, formatted to be behind text, in the header or
footer. If you have different first-page headers/footers, you need to put
them in both the first page header or footer and the continuation page
header or footer.

I have these in a separate document. My pleading templates automatically
copy them from that document and put them where they belong in new
documents
based on the template.

Hi Charles,

Is there a reason not to use page borders? In the Format Borders &
Shading Page Borders dialog, choose the line width and color, then
click the left and right edges of the preview to turn on only the
vertical borders.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

MoJR wrote:
The best I've
come up with is removing the formatting elements successfully BUT, when I try
to reset the page margins for page 7, the pleading format from page 6 scoots
over to the margin settings for page 7.

Are you sure that "this section" is selected in File | Page Setup while
you try to change the margins?

HTH
Robert
--