Josep_456 Josep_456 is offline
Junior Member

Post Multiple substitution of words in a Word document

Good Morning.

Is there a Word add-on that allows multiple substitutions easily?

That is, I would like to select a pair of Excel columns (up to a certain number of rows) copy and paste as a table and tell Word to replace the words on the left of this table with the words on the right of this table.

Macros are not an option because it will take a lot of time to do them, I need something quick and easy.

Can it be done in any way? From what version of Word would it be available?

Regards, and thank you very much.
Josep_456 Josep_456 is offline
Junior Member

It's not for mail merge, I have a huge Word document and I need to change quite a lot words. It's just that, and I feel so disappointed that many years have passed having Word and a multi substitution option was never developed.

Anyway thanks for your answer, I already tought there was nothing available.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Multiple substitution of words in a Word document

A fairly simple way to do it is to create a blank column (Table Layout
Insert Left/Right; then select all the cells in the column you want to move,
and Cut them (Ctrl-C), then select the empty cells in the column you just
inserted (be careful not to select more or fewer cells), and Paste (Ctrl-V).
Column moved.

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 9:31:07 AM UTC-5, Josep_456 wrote:

Is there a Word add-on that allows multiple substitutions easily?
That is, I would like to select a pair of Excel columns (up to a certain
number of rows) copy and paste as a table and tell Word to replace the
words on the left of this table with the words on the right of this
table.
Macros are not an option because it will take a lot of time to do them,
I need something quick and easy.
Can it be done in any way? From what version of Word would it be
available?

Josep_456 Josep_456 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles K. Kenyon View Post
Hi,

If this is something like a contract or a lease where a number of names need to be changed on a regular basis, either mail merge or mapped content controls are in order. I regularly use mail merge to prepare drafts of legal documents for one client. The information about the client and case gets filled in automatically.
I used mail marged and it's very handy, the best option for some works for sure.
Unfortunately for this I can't use mail merge, I have to replace all the words inside the Word document and it would be great to have a "multi substitution" option.

Thanks for your concern, sadly there is no option of this kind available.